• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge CXA80: upgrading? how?

lorcar

Hi everyone, first time poster here.
Not an expert, this has been my setup for the last 5 years:

- AMPLI: cambridge CXA80
- CD PLAYER: cambridge CXC
- SPEAKERS: Focal Electra 1007 BE

i listen classical music, opera, chamber music, lot of piano solo, and lot of classic jazz (davis, coltrane, monk, dexter gordon, etc).
I listen 90% from CD, while 10% broadcasting radio to Google Audio Chromecast.

Question for you expert:
1- i read that the Cambridge CXA81 has an internal DAC apparently way better than the one on the CXA80 (Sabre vs Wolfson): do you think it is worth the upgrade?
2- or you'd rather suggest simply investing in an external DAC to be added to my existing set-up?
3- most importantly: would a better DAC be so important even if I listen mostly from cd, rather than streaming? I must confess my ignorance, so I am still not so sure what streaming for me would be: subscription to Tidal? Spotify? downloading mp3? converting all my cd library into digital files (hopefulluy loseless)? streaming from Amazon Music?

thank you very much in advance, as you can see I am still a bit confused

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone, first time poster here.
Not an expert, this has been my setup for the last 5 years:

- AMPLI: cambridge CXA80
- CD PLAYER: cambridge CXC
- SPEAKERS: Focal Electra 1007 BE

i listen classical music, opera, chamber music, lot of piano solo, and lot of classic jazz (davis, coltrane, monk, dexter gordon, etc).
I listen 90% from CD, while 10% broadcasting radio to Google Audio Chromecast.

Question for you expert:
1- i read that the Cambridge CXA81 has an internal DAC apparently way better than the one on the CXA80 (Sabre vs Wolfson): do you think it is worth the upgrade?
2- or you'd rather suggest simply investing in an external DAC to be added to my existing set-up?
3- most importantly: would a better DAC be so important even if I listen mostly from cd, rather than streaming? I must confess my ignorance, so I am still not so sure what streaming for me would be: subscription to Tidal? Spotify? downloading mp3? converting all my cd library into digital files (hopefulluy loseless)? streaming from Amazon Music?

thank you very much in advance, as you can see I am still a bit confused
Welcome to ASR @lorcar

OP
L

lorcar

I guess the qauestion has already been asked many times...

Taddpole

1. No

2. No

3. Unlikely

What has brought about the need to "upgrade"? Is there a problem with the current set up?

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You have a very nice system there. Enjoy it. There are no more night and day upgrades to be had, other than perhaps trying room correction with a Dirac equiped streaming device or MiniDSP between CD player and amplifier. There is no loss in “purity” too.

OP
L

lorcar

thanks everyone.
No urgent need indeed. I am happy with the current system.
I do like clear, precise, tridimensional sound, and thought that a new DAC could help me achieve these dimensions in a better way.

So a new DAC would be needed only if i started listening streaming/MP3/etc?
thanks again

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
thanks everyone.
No urgent need indeed. I am happy with the current system.
I do like clear, precise, tridimensional sound, and thought that a new DAC could help me achieve these dimensions in a better way.

So a new DAC would be needed only if i started listening streaming/MP3/etc?
thanks again
u r here, and it's a good thing. do some more reading. try to understand what u want.
if it's streaming - see which services offer lossless streaming, and which devices will support it.

Top Bottom