• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

breakthrough of the budget priced fully transparent DAC - when did it happen?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And OP asked for how long. I suspect he expected more than "a long time". ;)
Others had already indicated dates....just proposing a question why someone thought it was a recent development. What were his sources of information all this time?

charleski

Major Contributor
The question of transparency will always be slightly fraught. But it's worth reflecting on just how crappy early DACs (even wildly expensive ones) were by modern standards. A good example is served up by Stereophile from 1989, though JA's measurements in the late '80s were still in their infancy and didn't extend much beyond an assessment of linearity at the 15th bit. Unsurprisingly, all these old R2R DACs were abysmal, though some were worse than others (prices are in 1989 dollars):
Accuphase DC-81L ($8250): +3.7dB
Theta DS Pre ($4000): -1.2dB
Sony DAS-R1: +2dB
CAL Tempest II ($3000): -3.2dB

I suppose it's possible to debate how audible these errors were, but I think 'transparency' had to wait for the delta-sigma revolution to fully bear fruit ten years later.

Reactions: VQR

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you are right. Truly accurate conversion required sigma delta devices.

Top Bottom