• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bought a pair of Grado SR-80e for DYI modding

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally bought a pair of Grado’ to serve as a test bench headset for modding. Plan to mod the cups and chords as I progress along. Immediate change I’m making is moving to the bowl cushions from the stock. From an hour of listening time on them, I definitely will have to EQ them( too used to Sennheiser reference sound). enjoying picking up subtle separation of instruments in some of the tracks that I’ve heard so far.
Looking for any good recommendations for future driver replacement and good cable to pair with them.

16/44

I have a set of SR80's that I've been planning to mod as well.

Are Grado drivers much different as you go up the range or is it mainly the enclosure?

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think most use the same drivers but the housing is different and the cushion shape.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Removed the old S Cushion's and put on Geekria L cushion's. Removed the plastic cover on the driver pod, seemed to not make any difference in sound to me. Painted the outside cup in gold.

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0169.jpeg
    IMG_0169.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 177
OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

David Marksberg

I have a set of SR80's that I've been planning to mod as well.

Are Grado drivers much different as you go up the range or is it mainly the enclosure?
Biggest difference is the precision of matching the two drivers.

Peterinvan

Top Bottom