• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best software for Blu-ray pure audio

davidebond

Hi. Excuse me for the silly question. What is the best software to play pure-audio Blu-ray discs? I use foobar2000, but I am unable to play pure-audio CDs. I am using powerdvd 22, but it is not able to play all the possibilities offered by pure-audio discs, albeit powerdvd is able to play a lot of formats. What can I do?

I use the pc. I don't have a Blu-ray cd player for TV.

Thanks and best,

Davide

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
By pure audio CDs, I'm assuming your referring to the normal audio-CDs?
So Foobar2000 is not able to play audio-CDs?
Cyberlink PowerDVD might have a limit of 24-bit/48k for Blu-ray audio files (or at least it use to have that limit).

JSmith

Master Contributor
OP
davidebond

davidebond

I installed these components without success. I can play Blu-ray CDs, sacds, but not pure-audio Blu-ray CDs. These with the mshuttle to navigate in their content. Do they work only with a internet Blu-ray equipment?

Thanks,

Davide

JSmith

Master Contributor
I can play Blu-ray CDs, sacds, but not pure-audio Blu-ray CDs.
Well this must be a Foobar issue then as;
A Pure Audio Blu-ray is fully compatible with Blu-ray specifications and can be played with any standard Blu-ray player.

JSmith

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Yes. The problem is navigating in the mshuttle. Foobar2000 cannot because it has not a GUI. Powerdvd can, but play only the pcm format. Why not the DTS, which it supports?

Thanks,

Davide

twsecrest

Yes. The problem is navigating in the mshuttle. Foobar2000 cannot because it has not a GUI. Powerdvd can, but play only the pcm format. Why not the DTS, which it supports?
Thanks, Davide
I'm not the expert, but I believe PowerDVDs has limits on Blu-ray disk audio, It might be because it's used on a computer and it somehow it keeps PowerDVD from being able to make perfect copys of the Blu-ray disk, but it's more of a guess.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

What could I do? By the way, how do you listen to pure-audio Blu-ray CDs with DTS?

twsecrest

What could I do? By the way, how do you listen to pure-audio Blu-ray CDs with DTS?
I would use PowerDVD to listen to the Blu-ray disk and have to be happy with 24-bit/48K audio.
If you play the Blu-ray audio disk in an external Blu-ray player, like you connect to TVs, it might play the high end DTS audio files.
It might help to stop calling Blu-ray disks, Blu-ray CDs, CD normally refers to Audio-CDs. Maybe just say Blu-ray and not Blu-ray CD (not a big deal).

What is the title of the music Blu-ray disk your trying to play?

Maybe this Foobar2000 add-on might help?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. Excuse me for the silly question. What is the best software to play pure-audio Blu-ray discs? I use foobar2000, but I am unable to play pure-audio CDs. I am using powerdvd 22, but it is not able to play all the possibilities offered by pure-audio discs, albeit powerdvd is able to play a lot of formats. What can I do?

I use the pc. I don't have a Blu-ray cd player for TV.

Thanks and best,

Davide
I’m a bit confused. Do you have a blue ray drive?

OP
davidebond

davidebond

For example Karajan and the Walküre, 2L CDs, Colin Davis and Nielsen' symphonies, etc. I know that Foobar2000. I have no problems in playing CDs, but those with the mshuttle. I use a normal Samsung bd-burner without internet connection.

Thanks for your replies and please forgive me for my awful English,

Davide

JSmith

Master Contributor
Maybe this Foobar2000 add-on might help?
OP already installed this as per a few posts back...
I installed these components without success.
It might be worth informing about your issue;
Do you have a blue ray drive?
OP is using a BD drive via PC and has tried Foobar2000 with DTS pack plus Power DVD 22, however they are not playing pure audio BD's which are supposed to work on any BD player/drive.

JSmith

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Well. I contacted the staff of mshuttle. According to their opinion, from a pc with a bd-burner one can navigate with explorer in the content of the cd and copy the files dragging them on the PC. This is right and there are different formats, but they have not the DTS, nor have the same resolution of the files, one can listen to with mshuttle. I searched in the cds, but without result.

Berliner Philharmoniker Insert in the case of the cd also a code to download the high-res files from the web with our without surround and at different resolution. This is best and it works.

The files you download this way are flac and foobar2000 has no problem in playing them.

Otherwise, one can download files from Presto Classical or native dsd.

What about jriver player?

Thanks,

Davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

I didn't know its existence. It is great! I'll download it.

Many many many thanks,

Davide

Offler

I'm not the expert, but I believe PowerDVDs has limits on Blu-ray disk audio, It might be because it's used on a computer and it somehow it keeps PowerDVD from being able to make perfect copys of the Blu-ray disk, but it's more of a guess.
I have PowerDVD 20. I pointed out on their support forum that when using SPDIF, audio output switches to 48KHz 16bit Stereo and it should not happen.

They claimed that SPDIF is limited to 16bit 48KHz stereo, which is simply not true - the limitation is 24bits 192KHz stereo. My impression is that their development team does not know what they are doing.

kiwifi

Have you tried VLC?

twsecrest

I have PowerDVD 20. I pointed out on their support forum that when using SPDIF, audio output switches to 48KHz 16bit Stereo and it should not happen.

They claimed that SPDIF is limited to 16bit 48KHz stereo, which is simply not true - the limitation is 24bits 192KHz stereo. My impression is that their development team does not know what they are doing.
From my personal understanding, PowerDVD is limited on what audio it can play off a Blu-ray disk, limit being 48K (16 or 24 bit?).
Not sure why, but guessing they are not fully licensed for using all the DTS or Dolby audio tracks.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe they mean their implementation of spdif spec is limited?

OP
davidebond

davidebond

I don't know if you are interested in, but if you insert a bd audio with mshuttle in the optical driver of the pc and you search in the disc the string "flac", you find a folder with all the flac files at 24 bit/96khz. I think that an audiophile can be interested, since in this way, one can listen to the music in the bd with foobar2000 simply adding the folder in issue. I didn't find the dts version of these files.

Best,

davide

Top Bottom