• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Guitarists Evah!!!

Dismayed

I think that was the OP's real intent and is what we have accomplished.
Yes, this has drawn my attention to guitarists that I’ve overlooked or forgotten about!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since nobody picked up on Andy Synowiec, here's a profile. Everyone's heard him, they just didn't know.

Talk about stylistic versatility.

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Since nobody picked up on Andy Synowiec, here's a profile. Everyone's heard him, they just didn't know.

Talk about stylistic versatility.
Yeah, for each guitar god I idolize, there are ten or more session musicians who I probably like even more! Thanks for sharing.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, for each guitar god I idolize, there are ten or more session musicians who I probably like even more! Thanks for sharing.
For studio guitarists, it always pays to see who gets hired by Steely Dan, Paul Simon, and Joni Mitchell-

Dean Parks
Michael Landau (both studio legends)
Steve Khan ("My Rival")
Jay Graydon ("Peg")
Connor Kennedy (touring with Steely Dan now)

Also, Bonnie Raitt should have come up.

Michael Landau

Reactions: MAB

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More Landau, for people who wanna see blues improv

Music707

Even if he might not make it to the no. 1 spot, in my opinion Wilko Johnson definitely deserves a honorary mention.

Dilliw

Who is Santrini? Did you mean Joe Satriani?
Yeh the bald headed guy from Chickenfoot. Sorry for the spelling.

As to the Michael Hedges comment , here is Calum Graham playing around with his Harp Guitar

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I searched, but did we get through all this thread without mentioning Matteo Mancuso? I know he's young, but...wow.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok. So slightly going stir (bat s*it actually) crazy here in Malaysia. Listening to some of my fav albums, which sparked a search on " Best Guitarists Ever". Rolling Stone has several lists that seem slightly dubious to this old guy. Other sites actually have Slash and Willie Nelson in the mix, while ignoring Carlos (Santana for for the Luddites in the crowd). I thought it may be interesting (probably wrong) to see where ASR denizens stand. So, being new, ill informed here are MY top ten. Care to Contest???

1.0 Tie between Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix
3.0 Joe Satriani
4.0 Jeff Beck
5.0 Carlos Santana
6.0 David Gilmore
7.0 Keef (Keith Richards)
8.0 Jimmy Page
9.0 Stevie Ray Vaughn
10.0 Pete Townshend
Unless I missed it, I haven't seen Duane Allman mentioned. Leaving out that he created a music genre (Southern Blues Rock) and was a great songwriter, he also was an innovative guitar stylist (e.g. slide guitar, improv). I still get shivers when I go back for an Allman Bros fix after a long hiatus and guitar work is at the center of it....

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Michou

Mike Stern
Larry Coryell
Terry Kath
Jimmy Hendrix
Jeff Beck
Wes Montgomery
Steve Kahn

raindance

Major Contributor
Did anyone mention Mario Millo (Australia)? These days he mostly seems to make movie soundtracks, but his guitar playing in various prog bands is very melodic and atmospheric.

Another interesting guitarist is Steve Newman (South Africa) mostly known for his work with a band called Tananas. His style is very much a home brewed hybrid of traditional jazz and traditional African music.

Sonny1

So many great guitarists in this thread, it’s been fun to check many of them. It’s impossible for me to pick a favorite. I really love the playing in this video. Paco de Lucia is one of my favorites and although this is late in his life, a few years before he passed away, I love how he is able to tell a story with his instrument. Check out the look on Al DeMeola’s face. Two masters having a casual conversation without saying a word. Paco was not as technically flashy as some but I really appreciated his playing. I was lucky enough to see him play live and he was amazing.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jonny Lang deserves a nod.

Top Bottom