• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Guitarists Evah!!!

DChenery

Forum Donor
Ok. So slightly going stir (bat s*it actually) crazy here in Malaysia. Listening to some of my fav albums, which sparked a search on " Best Guitarists Ever". Rolling Stone has several lists that seem slightly dubious to this old guy. Other sites actually have Slash and Willie Nelson in the mix, while ignoring Carlos (Santana for for the Luddites in the crowd). I thought it may be interesting (probably wrong) to see where ASR denizens stand. So, being new, ill informed here are MY top ten. Care to Contest???

1.0 Tie between Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix
3.0 Joe Satriani
4.0 Jeff Beck
5.0 Carlos Santana
6.0 David Gilmore
7.0 Keef (Keith Richards)
8.0 Jimmy Page
9.0 Stevie Ray Vaughn
10.0 Pete Townshend

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Ok. So slightly going stir (bat s*it actually) crazy here in Malaysia. Listening to some of my fav albums, which sparked a search on " Best Guitarists Ever". Rolling Stone has several lists that seem slightly dubious to this old guy. Other sites actually have Slash and Willie Nelson in the mix, while ignoring Carlos (Santana for for the Luddites in the crowd). I thought it may be interesting (probably wrong) to see where ASR denizens stand. So, being new, ill informed here are MY top ten. Care to Contest???

1.0 Tie between Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix
3.0 Joe Satriani
4.0 Jeff Beck
5.0 Carlos Santana
6.0 David Gilmore
7.0 Keef (Keith Richards)
8.0 Jimmy Page
9.0 Stevie Ray Vaughn
10.0 Pete Townshend

Mark Knopfler
Slash...

Those are two I'd fit into that list maybe...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Let's just say here are a few I like:

Victor Wooten (bass)
Kazumi Watababe (stylistic range)
Charlie Hunter (guitar with added bass strings)
Junior Brown (pseudo honky tonk)
Steve Vai (stunt guitar)
Martin Barre
Bela Fleck (banjo)
Romero Lubambo
Al di Meola
Walter Becker

OP
DChenery

DChenery

Forum Donor
Fluffy

Best - Sends shivers up your back bone and mahes you gasp (Maybe like !ex but that was so long ago I only dream about it). Please try not to amalgimate composition with playing.

Ray Good point. Nedd to differentiate bass from lead. Hzve to think about that one.

Discuss!

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Best - Sends shivers up your back bone and mahes you gasp (Maybe like !ex but that was so long ago I only dream about it). Please try not to amalgimate composition with playing.
So it's based on subjective feeling. Then it's not about who's the absolute best, but who is the best for you. It's an important distinction in these kinds of topics.

OP
DChenery

DChenery

Forum Donor
Fluffy. While this is a subjective site, actual music will aleays be subjective. Een from the small number of replys (hopefully so far) there are players I ned to llok up.

Mood swingbto positive!

OP
DChenery

DChenery

Forum Donor
SIY Why too broad?

To me Stevie Ray is at best an average studio musician who JUST HAPPENS to play some incredibale music.

This type of "disagrement: is (to me anyway) why this hobby a9listening to music) can last a life time.

Davelemi

Forum Donor
#1- David Gilmour has made beautiful music that will stand the test of time.

Others on my list-
Al di Meola
Mark Knopfler
Jimmy Page (does he get enough credit as a producer?)
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Slash
Johnny Marr
Robert Cray
Randy Rhoads
Allen Collins
Larry Coryell
Don Felder
BB King
Paco de Lucia

Top Bottom