• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

being an audiophile is irrational, compulsive and pathological

recycle

Let's face it:

You're an audiophile when you resorted to text messages because phone calls don't come through as 96/24 high def audio

You're an audiophile when your friend lets you see his/her ipod or mp3 and you secretly change the EQ settings

You're an audiophile when you consider a 300 dollar headphone a bargain

You're an audiophile when you start tuning people out as soon as they mention Beats or Bose as the best.

You're an audiophile when you research a certain set of phones to the extent that you think you know everything about how they sound without even listening to them yet.

You're an audiophile when you're studying DAC chip designs without any background in electrical engineering

You're an audiophile when you would like to hear the sound of your wife through your expensive gear to add "warmth", reduce shrillness or sibilance and possibly eliminate any undesirable high dynamic range.

You're an audiophile when you think going blind would be inconvenient, but going deaf would be the end of the world.

You're an audiophile when you swear to yourself after every purchase that this is the last time and you think your rig is perfect as it is now. Then you see the next "must have".

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're an audiophile when you start tuning people out as soon as they mention Beats or Bose as the best.
Or in my case, an EE.

/;)

LeShog

LOL some of these were pretty fun and spot on, still I wouldn’t consider myself an audiophile, not something to be proud of or anything in particular, I just like to listen well and am picky about how I hear. I like to think as myself as a music enthusiast, a musician in my free time and a musician wanna be. Unfortunately this line of work isn’t very fruitful so I preferred another one that I also like, but all my spare time goes into music, listening, playing, studying composition. Hanging around proud of your setup like some folks who even have a hat that says it (“I am an audiophile”) seems silly

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The really dark side of audiophilia is someone I knew that was really not into music much, he only used a dozen or so albums to test his newest change in equipment or acoustic treatment, but never got to actually sit and just listen to music for the pleasure of the music itself.

Much happier are people who can listen to music in a bedside radio clock or Bluetooth speaker or airline headphone and thoroughly enjoy album after album.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
You're an audiophile when you have enough insight about audiophile behaviour to come on ASR and ridicule them :) Takes one to know one, I say!

Reddoc

"Audiophile" is unfairly used as a pejorative on this site.
Being an audiophile means that you love sound, pragmatically that you are interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction. Not that you are stupid, naive, rich or retarded.
Just because there are predatory and / or deceptive practices amongst vendors or because some audiophiles fail to meet your standard of a scientist in everything they think, say and do is no need to be rude.
I would prefer it if "audiophile" was not used in a negative manner.
"Some audiophiles" would be a reasonable group noun to describe a subset that you wish to decry, debunk, tease, offend, abuse, despise or otherwise demonise.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are an audiophile when you start thinking you can determine when others are audio audiophiles, or not.

You are an audiophile when you think your way is the only way to achieve proper sonic bliss.

Or, so I’m told.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In reference to the title of this thread, I offer this chestnut from XKCD (and a personal favorite, at that).
1709430763235.png

source: https://xkcd.com/703/

;)
:cool:
:facepalm:

JohnnyAudio

irrational, compulsive and pathological​

are we in the list?

JohnnyAudio

I went to church for an audiophile exorcism but the sound system sucked.

Last edited:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're an audiophile when you think going blind would be inconvenient, but going deaf would be the end of the world.

I went through a windshield 32 years ago and was blind for 3 months as my eyes healed. At the time my career (as a visual artist lol) had only begun. This was my exact thought before finding out I would see again- "oh well, the art career is gone best start practicing more on guitar."

JohnnyAudio

Is " audiophile " woke?
I don't understand that term.

Top Bottom