• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Basic EQ in 2 channel Receivers which already have DSP ... Should be by Law

Jake Cushing

Why on earth would a receiver which already has room-measuring EQ circuitry, completely omit a basic graphic EQ function?

I'm talking about you, Yamaha RN803

So it's a great amp overall, nice test results in pure-direct mode, great classic looks and gorgeous in silver. And it has a ton of streaming and digital radio built-in.

It also has YPAO, ie their room EQ auto-optimiser whatever. I have no interest in this because from everything I read, it isn't worth the bother. And I don't want to colour the speakers beyond my control.

I have an RME ADI-2 DAC, a superb unit that lets me EQ inputs transparently. Just what I need to get my Studio Electric speakers singing perfectly despite being up against corners and what-not. Terrific for CD input.

But if I want to listen to digital radio, or stream something direct to the amp, there is no ability whatsoever to do basic bass EQ-ing. It seems intuitive that if a unit already has something like YPAO, it wouldn't be a huge deal to include that function as standard... am I missing something here?

Yes I would be missing on the pure-direct goodness, but sometimes you just want to browse digitally and not worry about absolute perfection in distortion - the EQing is a good trade-off in that circumstance where zero distortion means little when your speakers have boundary induced bumps in their mid bass.

The Denon AVR range offers this, but that's a big huge AVR with redundant AV processing for a basic 2channel stereo set-up.

I get the impression manual EQ-ing is rare amongst 2ch receivers, am I wrong?

Top Bottom