• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced to unbalanced converter

Thorsten Loesch

Germany, now South East Asia (not China or SAR's)
So you are saying that all Chinese engineers are generally incapable? Not true.
Also, that publishing full circuits will invite only the Chinese to copy/build them? Not true either. Stuff put in the public domain can (and will) be used by anyone.
Those are clearly derogatory blanket statements in my book and should not be used, no matter if you got bitten in some specific incidents or not. (I've got bitten too, for that matter, mind you).

I am not referring to ethnically Chinese. Taiwan has excellent engineers who are highly capable.

I should perhaps qualify this as engineers produced by the mainland Chinese education system are not educated to to produce independent work.

As a result they do not, in my extensive experience produce independent work.

There are also cultural issues, the concept of intellectual property as such is not part of Chinese culture, but people think those who copy others well (or trick them at business to their advantage) as clever and worthy of imitation.

Combine this with an education system that is based on rote Repetition, not independent work and application of knowledge and the results are predictable.

As for public domain designs, I have many of them. I had a number of small companies ask me if they could use them, not legal neccessity. I'm only aware of one western company that made copies without that little nicety. Mind you, their products are made in China, maybe they were unaware of this.

I had Chinese ask for free help because they could not make a circuit work. They didn't tell me they had copies in volume to sell. When it turned out the problem were fake parts (J-Fets) they were like "You must help to make it work, we made and paid for 1,000 PC's."

Thor

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
As a result they do not, in my extensive experience produce independent work.
I have quite a lot of experience in Japan. It is similar, I would call it less individual creativity. They are used to accept collective decisions, not that much individual creativity in solution of unexpected problems.

Thorsten Loesch

Germany, now South East Asia (not China or SAR's)
I have quite a lot of experience in Japan. It is similar, I would call it less individual creativity. They are used to accept collective decisions, not that much individual creativity in solution of unexpected problems.

Yes, but quite a bit of real independent work comes out of Japan. Also, often copies over time end up improved often even to.a degree that the original is barely recognisable.

China (Mainland)? Imagine the tendencies you see in Japan magnified 1,000 fold. And copies made are often cheapened in ways that show a lack of understanding the device they modify to save cost.

I just tried to fix a MIC tower fan with oscillating feature. It's clearly copied from somewhere. The original had a ball bearing between the base and tower.

My copy had the plastic retaining ring for the balls minus the balls. As a result the small synchronous geared motor stripped the plastic gears. So now it doesn't oscillate.

I have a total of four of these fans, all have dead gears in these motors and lack the 8 steel balls and the dab of silicone grease that would have made the oscillating feature super reliable and smooth. Cost savings? Cents?

Thor

Top Bottom