• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA: Bob Hodas Acoustics Talk

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As I noted elsewhere, I arrived mid-way into this talk. I captured the slides that Bob showed.

093A2957.jpg
093A2955.jpg
093A2956.jpg
093A2950.jpg
093A2958.jpg
093A2949.jpg
093A2951.jpg
093A2952.jpg
093A2954.jpg
093A2953.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry the above slides are not in the order presented :).

From the presentation and talking to others who were there for the whole talk, Bob's approach is the classic Pro approach of eliminating all first reflections. As some of you know, I am not in that school.

Here are my other notes:
  • He said that the tunable active/electronic bass traps can be noisy, i.e. generate their own sound. This is the first real feedback I have heard on these products.
  • He uses the RPG Modex panels (expensive but from all I hear, work well).
  • He always measures. Always. Never attempt to tune bass frequencies by ear alone.
  • Made a strong point that bass absorption products should be in the right places. He often rips out "bass traps" in client rooms/homes.
  • Clever (?) approach of pointing a sub at the wall as to change its effective path length relative to room modes created at the listening position.
After the presentation I was having lunch and heard three people who attended the talk express disappointment. They didn't understand the mirror technique and wanted to see more specific ways they can measure their systems to improve them. I told them to come here :).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The third slide has my amps.

He must be a good guy.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Speaking of the third slide:

index.php

He said the diffusers on the front wall were strictly decorative. The client had them so they put them there. He stated correctly that they need to be broadband to work and for that, they need to be a lot deeper.

Top Bottom