• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiolab 8200CD DAC Problem

GrahamH

Hello all

I’ve had an Audiolab 8200CD from new which I have been mainly using as a DAC via the USB B input from a Mac Mini using Audirvana software. It produced an excellent sound.

However, I moved the unit to another room and now the USB cable from the Mac mini will not fit snugly in the USB input on the Audiolab – see photo. As a consequence the signal from the Mac Mini is not stable and keeps cutting out.

I’ve tried another USB cable but to no avail. I’ve also cleaned the contact end but that didn’t help. Perhaps I damaged the input when extracting the cable from the Audiolab when moving it to another room. Any ideas on whether that would be an easy fix?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Kind regards
Graham

Attachments

• IMG_4925.jpeg
    IMG_4925.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 34

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @GrahamH! Welcome to ASR.

Though I've never had to fix a USB-B jack before, I'd try using a lock pick hook tool to bend the four copper springs outward:
Bel-Steward-Connector-img-stw-type-b-connector-ss-52300-001.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you change the USB cable for a longer one? How long is the cable?

OP
G

GrahamH

Did you change the USB cable for a longer one? How long is the cable?
It is indeed longer - a couple of metres - but it is the same issue with the original shorter 1 metre cable. I've must have dislodged the socket's insides slightly when extracting the original cable. It had been a tight fit.

Top Bottom