• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Atmos in an open space rental

Monosauras

Hey everyone,

I need some advice. I've never had Atmos before, and would like to dip my toe.

I'm in a rental (ie. can't drill into the ceiling) with an open area layout.

The living area is about:
435cm wide
396cm deep
282.8cm high ceilings

It is open design, so there are three walls, with the right side completely open to the rest of the unit (so cannot put speakers on the side walls, as there is only one).

The main listening position is about 250cm from the front wall, and seated height is roughly 110cm.

As this is not an ideal space, I'd like to make use of the equipment I already have on hand, so don't really want to go and buy a new set of speakers.

Ignoring my 5.1 setup, I have a pair of Q Acoustics 2020i and some old Jamo cheapie bookshelves laying around. (For reference, Jamo E610, but they must have reused model numbers, because they don't look like the E610s that come up on google).

Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 8.52.30 pm.png

My initial thought was going for a 5.1.2 setup by mounting the QA high on the front wall tilted down towards the listening position. With all of the aforementioned dimensions, this would put it at about 34 degrees from the MLP, not quite the bubble of sound we aspire to. From reading up on things, I see the wiggle room for the front heights in a 5.1.4 setup is 30-55 degrees. In a 5.1.2, they recommend 65-100 degrees.

Would that still be of any worth if I stick to a 5.1.2? Or would it be like listening to a stereo song with just the left speaker plugged in?

My second thought, if the above would not be any good, would be to dig out the Jamo and trying for a 5.1.4 setup. With all of the aforementioned dimensions, that would put the rear heights at about 130 degrees. Wiggle room for rears in a 5.1.4 setup is 125-150 degrees.

So, in order:
1) Would a 5.1.2 setup with front heights at 34degrees give me any taste of Atmos?
2) Would a mismatched 5.1.4 setup be much better?

I really like my bed layer (which, if it matters, are Monitor Audio). I understand that neither option is the greatest, but I don't want best to be the enemy of good. I also don't want to start adding to the detriment of my 5.1

Thank you

Last edited:
Top Bottom