• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

At which sound pressure levels are loudspeakers calibrated to achieve a flat perceived loudness curve?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Always curious about it,I don't think the studio gear in the 50's could do that (at least for peaks) working with big nice orchestras,at least the ones some friends here told me that was used.
So we are talking about moderns ones,right?
The public is not sitting with the musicians, but at a distance.
The distance, we know by the reverberation, reflections and so on. And the level.

If you want to reproduce the sound like on stage, then, indeed, you'd need quite a high level
(And a quite close mic capture)

Cabasse is a French loudspeakers brand.
They used to build studio monitors and quite sensitive speakers.
They often compared the sound of reproduction through loudspeakers to the original, recommending to play at a volume similar (or approaching) to what you get in a live performance.
And, indeed, that was one reason they produced quite sensitive and powerful speakers: the acoustic power of an instrument is quite high (not even talking of a grand piano) and reproducing it a "natural" level as heards from the front rows in a concert room, you can easily be above 100dB.
They wrote in their doc on the mid 90s that even their HiFi speakers were tested individually at 800W peaks, at level approaching 120dB (peak) at 1m.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
The public is not sitting with the musicians, but at a distance.
The distance, we know by the reverberation, reflections and so on. And the level.

If you want to reproduce the sound like on stage, then, indeed, you'd need quite a high level
(And a quite close mic capture)
No,no stage or loge or auditorium,I'm talking about the studio who they played and produced the mix,my curiocity is only what the people who made the end-(recorded)-result heard.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose you're talking about passive speakers. There are definitely active speakers with loudness compensation.
That you can turn ON, and OFF. That's tossed in sometimes, like the old Loudness Compensation button on a stereo. But I know of no special level that everybody adjusts to. In any event I wouldn't call that a calibration of the speaker.

Trell

Major Contributor
No,no stage or loge or auditorium,I'm talking about the studio who they played and produced the mix,my curiocity is only what the people who made the end-(recorded)-result heard.
A string quartet in my living room would play much louder than I usually do, but for sure world be nice to try at home sometime. :)

Reactions: TSB

Sokel

Master Contributor
A string quartet in my living room would play much louder than I usually do, but for sure world be nice to try at home sometime. :)
A single flute can play much louder than most systems capability (we can see how unhappy some tweeters are at 96db let alone 110 that a flute can reach) but that's not the case I refer to,so I will explain in my poor english.
-Recordings and everything are made and are ok.
-studio and the rest have make what is necessary and everything is ready so they test it and listen to with their gear.
THAT gear I'm talking about and as long as my favorite plays are from 50's and 60's a friend here told me that are probably listened to by (quoting the friend):

the three-track RCA Living Stereo recordings used "tube-amplifier Ampex 300-3 1/2" machines running at 15ips and in later years at 30ips." "Neumann U-47 cardioid and M-49/50 omnidirectional microphones were favored, as were RCA-designed LC-1A 15" duo-cone speakers in the control room."

That's why I'm so curious,cause even with that gear (I have search for them and some are even on sale) some recordings are really-really good.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Calibration reference in accordance to ISO 226 2003 is 84 dB.

must be confusing something. that ISO is not for calibration. the values are relative to the values meassured at 1000Hz; meaning that the 80dB curve shows how loud a given frequency must be to be percieved as loud as a 80dB 1000Hz tone

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
must be confusing something. that ISO is not for calibration. the values are relative to the values meassured at 1000Hz; meaning that the 80dB curve shows how loud a given frequency must be to be percieved as loud as a 80dB 1000Hz tone
Screenshot_20230212-214711.png

84 dB no correction = reference point in this case.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To answer the original question again .

It would not be productive at all to design this into a passive speaker .

This functionality should be handled by the electronics.

I’m quite sure some Bluetooth speakers has this kind of thing built in ?

Reactions: TSB

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ask myself: at which sound pressure level do the loudspeaker manufacturers adjust the balance between the woofer and tweeter?
Having worked for various speaker companies, and friends as well, I'm not aware of anyone who has a strict standard. It's "how loud the listeners feel on that day"
Generally the design target is "flat" but the meaning of that can also vary tremendously, since you have on- and off-axis. At lower and lower prices "flat" gets harder to achieve; the final tuning is done by those listening, where the level (and the room!) certainly impacts the perceived balance.

Top Bottom