• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are trainers (sneakers) like HiFi?

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Go to a good podiatrist. I no longer run, but did for many years. My podiatrist is a fan of both the Brooks Glycerin and the Hoka line of shoes, particularly the Cliford model. He consults with the local running clubs as well. Good shoes help.
+1 on both of these recommendations. Anytime I bought new trainers, I always went through a period of discomfort - like my feet had to get used to the new shoes. That all changed when I tried Hoka’s. They felt comfortable immediately and I was able to walk longer distances with no foot pain or discomfort right out of the box.

Pareto Pragmatic

This type of shoe wears out pretty quickly with use. Cheaper (within reason) or more expensive does not make a difference. So spend on a good set of custom inserts that you can use as shoes wear out. But make sure to test the insert in a new shoe brand/style before you buy, to make sure there is space.

In terms of performance? A 100 gram lighter shoe is estimated to lower a marathon time by almost a minute. If that kind of difference does not matter to you, save your money.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My sneakers stink. my hi-fi doesn't stink. Therefore, sneakers are not like hi-fi.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
it's equally as silly to assume dave caveman had perfect feet simply because he didn't use shoes
I don't assume that.

But, depending on the style/type of shoe they do affect the feet, how they develop, and the way they work mechanically, to a greater or lesser extent.

However: "A 2007 study examined 180 modern humans and compared their feet with 2,000-year-old skeletons. They concluded that, before the invention of shoes, humans overall had healthier feet."

D

Deleted member 48726

I don't assume that.

But, depending on the style/type of shoe they do affect the feet, how they develop, and the way they work mechanically, to a greater or lesser extent.

However: "A 2007 study examined 180 modern humans and compared their feet with 2,000-year-old skeletons. They concluded that, before the invention of shoes, humans overall had healthier feet."

ALL the results on the first page of Google using the phrase : "when did humans start wearing shoes" are saying humans wore shoes a loong time B.C.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The key is arch support, natural or restoring. Watch the video above; the guy stands on ski pole to reform his arch and says will take time to reform yours. 50,000+ people, 80%, give the orthotic 4 or 5 out of 5 on Amazon. So any decent shoe with right orthotic will get you walking right away if your feet are sensitive after long walking days on them. You can put the ski pole in your shoe without buying expensive shoes. Like many people being overweight collapses your arches over time. It did to me but maybe it doesn't apply to you, just be aware if there is pain. I agree with many that unless you are lifting and moving heavy loads or shifting laterally in sports, a stiffer shoe, aka trainers, are not needed

Top Bottom