• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apo EQ--is it possible to have different EQ config files for different outputs?

JRS

Major Contributor
I tried sourceforge, and could not find an answer, but under win 11, it gives a list of 5 options that you can choose one or more of. I use the headphone jack for my 1More earbuds, while the USB goes to a Topping DX3 Pro +. I am guessing the answer is no, but wondering if different EQ settings can be applied to different outputs. If not, is there an easier way than having 2 config files that you'd have to select before rebooting? It's a bit of a PITA to switch when I want to enjoy my Sundaras using Youtube or Amazon Music, and then watch netflix with the buds.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried sourceforge, and could not find an answer, but under win 11, it gives a list of 5 options that you can choose one or more of. I use the headphone jack for my 1More earbuds, while the USB goes to a Topping DX3 Pro +. I am guessing the answer is no, but wondering if different EQ settings can be applied to different outputs. If not, is there an easier way than having 2 config files that you'd have to select before rebooting? It's a bit of a PITA to switch when I want to enjoy my Sundaras using Youtube or Amazon Music, and then watch netflix with the buds.
I've probably misunderstood. I use the Peace popular front end for EAPO. I have multiple different headphone eq profiles. I can select very easily between them (one or 2 clicks) but they apply to whichever is the live output for windows.

Why can't you just use this but toggle when you change actual outputs? I let peace run on startup and you can have it running in the bottom right tray all the time, right click to select profile.

Edit. To directly answer your headline, I don't think you can set it up so switching output device triggers a change in profile.

Edit 2- As @Propheticus has shown below, you can do exactly what the OP is after. Clever!

Last edited:

Propheticus

Yes, you can add conditional modifier that selects a EQ config based on active output.
Will amend with an example when I'm home.

amendment:
consider a setup like this. I have an internal soundcard called Realtek and an external DAC/AMP called Loxjie
using two separate EQs for them would look like this:
1657886319109.png

There's one overall config which includes 2 separate EQ configs
Which one is active is filtered by the selected device.

Add one like this:
1657886405857.png

and then choose which device (with APO installed for it obviously) the rest of the config should apply to (filtering works top to bottom):
1657886469288.png

You can check the result per device in the bottom analysis panel by selecting it in the top-right. It should match 1 of either EQ configs and not something that looks like summing the 2 EQs.
1657887258672.png

Last edited:
OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Yes, you can add conditional modifier that selects a EQ config based on active output.
That sounds exactly like what I need. JimBob your answer was helpful as as well. I really don't care that they simultaneously supply different profiles, but being able to toggle one to another from the task bar would be fine as well. I forgot that the newer version of Peace allows you to change settings on the fly.

Propheticus

That sounds exactly like what I need. JimBob your answer was helpful as as well. I really don't care that they simultaneously supply different profiles, but being able to toggle one to another from the task bar would be fine as well. I forgot that the newer version of Peace allows you to change settings on the fly.
Amended my post, hopefully matches what you need and explained clearly enough.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Global Windows hotkeys can also be applied to profiles in PEACE. CTRL+ALT+0 loads the profile for my MTM monitors, CTRL+ALT+1 loads the profile for my HD660s, etc. See the number in < >...

1657888662803.png

I have each profile setup with a different colour icon, so I can tell which profile is applied without hovering over it...

1657888741319.png
1657888712567.png

Hotkey and icon are set when saving the profile...

1657888823026.png

You can also select the hotkey modifier (combination of CTRL, SHIFT, ALT) in the Hotkey tab in settings.

Astray

amendment:
consider a setup like this. I have an internal soundcard called Realtek and an external DAC/AMP called Loxjie
View attachment 218396

Add one like this:
View attachment 218397
and then choose which device (with APO installed for it obviously) the rest of the config should apply to (filtering works top to bottom):
View attachment 218398

You can check the result per device in the bottom analysis panel by selecting it in the top-right. It should match 1 of either EQ configs and not something that looks like summing the 2 EQs.
View attachment 218399
What program are you using for this? I can't find where this is in Peace at all.

Astray

The settings are in EqualizerAPO, I don't know if it's possible to add conditional modifiers using PEACE GUI.
It's okay, I managed to do what I needed through the automation window on Peace GUI. Problem was it was incredibly well hidden so it took me awhile to find. You have to click the little man to open it and then you can assign configs to be always on or when devices change and such.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's okay, I managed to do what I needed through the automation window on Peace GUI. Problem was it was incredibly well hidden so it took me awhile to find. You have to click the little man to open it and then you can assign configs to be always on or when devices change and such.

Useful to know, thanks.

Propheticus

It's a bit late, but to clarify for others reading: My example was done in the configuration editor of the regular Equalizer APO, which the OP mentioned in the title and I use myself. It does not depict config in the addon by Peter (PEACE).

Punchrulle

amendment:
View attachment 218396

Add one like this:
View attachment 218397
View attachment 218398

amendment:
View attachment 218396

Add one like this:
View attachment 218397
View attachment 218398

View attachment 218399
Can you run two outputs (usb outputs) at the same time? One for mains and one for subs?
15529B34-7902-4610-8CB6-754A745EA8A5.jpeg

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, you absolutely can have different EqAPO filters for different devices and outputs (and inputs) on the same device as long they are their own name and don't share (like maybe on a laptop the headphone out and line out are the same thing?).

in the config.txt file you write the device: followed by the device name (can be copied from the config program) and then include: the name or relative path to the text file that will store the filter settings for that particular device. The base directory would be config in the EqAPO folder.

Below is my config text file. I have a fair few text files with filters in for different purposes. I do not need to switch much, but do need to switch out filter file if using different headphones, obviously.
I have commented out including some filters with a hash symbol, this can be used to switch.
Code:
Preamp: 0 dB

Device: Speakers Realtek(R) Audio {e87e68f5-9662-4a3e-a3ba-feea8e9afb28}
#Include: Realtek_Speakers.txt
#Include VB_Cable.txt

Device: VB-Cable A VB-Audio Cable A {d4ac9b99-193f-4cca-b2a5-bbc9b201b958}
Include: VB_Cable.txt
#Include: Superlux681.txt

Device: VB-HiFi VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable {a335837d-84dd-4bda-ad0d-a894b3a1b183}
#Include: TakstarPro82.txt
#Include: isone.txt
#Include: TakstarPro82Oratory.txt
#Include: SonataHDPro\Superlux668bT_includer.txt
#Include: SonataHDPro\Superlux681_includer.txt

Device: Sonata HD Pro SONATA USB Audio {cdc407ac-71ea-417d-b0f1-884e2db1bd45}
Include: SonataHDPro\Includer.txt

Device: HP Headset HP Premium Digital Headset {3ea0095c-76ee-45e3-82c4-fe5aa86d05f3}
Include: HP_headset.txt

Device: Headset Mic HP Premium Digital Headset {46414ba0-070c-4863-9205-70d1be45b245}
Include: HP_headset_mic.txt

Device: VB-Cable B VB-Audio Cable B {a964486c-5e54-452c-bfbd-e05157d0773f}
Include: CableB-Playback.txt

Device: CABLE-B Output VB-Audio Cable B {56f6e1bf-2270-4c12-8a9f-8966a2ffa85f}
Include: CableB-Record.txt

I am in the process of writing a Powershell GUI tool that can sit in the system tray and allow for selecting audio device, adjusting volume and changing out these EqAPO filters.
Enumerating audio device in Windows is a right pain and a hoop jumping exercise but is actually possible and there is a github page where someone has made a bunch of PS audio tools already.

Punchrulle

Yes, you absolutely can have different EqAPO filters for different devices and outputs (and inputs) on the same device as long they are their own name and don't share (like maybe on a laptop the headphone out and line out are the same thing?).

in the config.txt file you write the device: followed by the device name (can be copied from the config program) and then include: the name or relative path to the text file that will store the filter settings for that particular device. The base directory would be config in the EqAPO folder.

Below is my config text file. I have a fair few text files with filters in for different purposes. I do not need to switch much, but do need to switch out filter file if using different headphones, obviously.
I have commented out including some filters with a hash symbol, this can be used to switch.
Code:
Preamp: 0 dB

Device: Speakers Realtek(R) Audio {e87e68f5-9662-4a3e-a3ba-feea8e9afb28}
#Include: Realtek_Speakers.txt
#Include VB_Cable.txt

Device: VB-Cable A VB-Audio Cable A {d4ac9b99-193f-4cca-b2a5-bbc9b201b958}
Include: VB_Cable.txt
#Include: Superlux681.txt

Device: VB-HiFi VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable {a335837d-84dd-4bda-ad0d-a894b3a1b183}
#Include: TakstarPro82.txt
#Include: TakstarPro82Oratory.txt
#Include: SonataHDPro\Superlux668bT_includer.txt
#Include: SonataHDPro\Superlux681_includer.txt

Device: Sonata HD Pro SONATA USB Audio {cdc407ac-71ea-417d-b0f1-884e2db1bd45}
Include: SonataHDPro\Includer.txt

Device: HP Headset HP Premium Digital Headset {3ea0095c-76ee-45e3-82c4-fe5aa86d05f3}
Include: HP_headset.txt

Device: Headset Mic HP Premium Digital Headset {46414ba0-070c-4863-9205-70d1be45b245}
Include: HP_headset_mic.txt

Device: VB-Cable B VB-Audio Cable B {a964486c-5e54-452c-bfbd-e05157d0773f}
Include: CableB-Playback.txt

Device: CABLE-B Output VB-Audio Cable B {56f6e1bf-2270-4c12-8a9f-8966a2ffa85f}
Include: CableB-Record.txt

I am in the process of writing a Powershell GUI tool that can sit in the system tray and allow for selecting audio device, adjusting volume and changing out these EqAPO filters.
Enumerating audio device in Windows is a right pain and a hoop jumping exercise but is actually possible and there is a github page where someone has made a bunch of PS audio tools already.
Excellent! Thanks a lot for the thorough explenation!

Top Bottom