• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone Else Buying New Vinyl?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I see vinyl I think of the plastic seats in cars which used to stick to your backside in hot weather.
The 8 hour drive (pre M25) in my dads Vauxhall from from Hertfordshire to St Ives was no joke as a 6 year old in shorts. I swear I must have left half of my skin in that car.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
My LP buying has slowed much, on purpose, as my library is large and storage space is getting a bit tricky. I'm trying to only buy albums now that I know will get a lot of play/listening. And I buy mostly original pressing jazz, classical and rock. My new vinyl purchases include the recent Giles Martin Beatles remasters (yeah, I'll probably get Let It Be too), Bowie's Blackstar, Pink Floyd's The Endless River, and, most recently, The Black Keys' "Delta Kream" album. One thing I don't love about new pressings is the tendency to do 2-LP sets for a normal length album. I really like "Delta Kream" but every time I play it, I can't believe it's time to flip the side.

At my favorite local record shop, I am always amused by the younger guys (well, mostly guys) buying 10-15 albums at a time and dropping well above $100 each time I see them. I love that "vinyl is back" but wow, I'm glad most of my collecting days are mostly over...

Dackel

One of the reasons Cd's could sound a bit harsch around mid 80ties is because lots of record compagnies using the vinyl master than using the original digital master. Story go's that Nichols (sound engineer Steely Dan) did recorded the Nightfly from Donald Fagen fully digital 48khz at the time. In 82 it was one of the first records producer fully digital. So he was buying the Cd in a store. An was horrified by it sound comparred to the lp. Hé Found out that the record compagny used the vinyl master instead of the original 1602 digital master with it full dynamics an transients. Lately i got this original master Nichols referd to an the album is not harsche any more way more balanced an more dynamic. Nichols produced some years ago a surround version of the Nightfly on dvd you can find the 2 channel stereo original 1602 master version of the Nightfly on that dvd. Priceless
:cool:
I think that that may be true for a number of CDs but you cant say it generally for all CDs out of that era. For example the first editions of 'Brothers in Arms' which was recorded as a show case for CD sound amazing mainly due to them having a huge dynamic range. The first pop record to be recorded digitally was Ry Cooders 'bob til you drop' which was recorded in 1979. I have that both on CD and Vinyl and they both sound quite respectable. btw - I also have some LPs which were recorded and mastered digitally and they sound a little brittle too.

Godataloss

Vinyl will be the last physical medium. I buy, sell and trade quite a bit. We have a very active local record club. If you call records vinyls, you are appropriately ostracized. This came over the weekend. Wonderful.
SSR3lUf56s_Eccy1L1-xJf27yDa93FyegalQ-hhC--lMaNHslXjQPG-jnRLB7yNFZM4U5DE8o4G7ANZBBoWjYXPDDRDATglrH4nxJ9lUYKwii1RDQyYbDeS5hqaNmH5_np1_7oyiA8-IDUsA9hbb8QIgId2hktluFeTCdNrPb1zb0uXUhPMEr0s1QZ7zV_igQdyJzjmJI-adC3IE22rCQqC-7sEjFgnQBZJOu8EcXBhlQ8HAkpPoQ-gn_1Hanr6CcyT-qVFxTW6pUHO5EAMskFOiWuZ1VDcBheg254m2HQgMF3RKKQXd_TUkBG7rOhW9o3fIjB_XhkPrb0hfdmXTrEJZoOMCS-jsoZUqv_ueh1m0e-oeokjuQTWn_zHKrBHN9a0G7C1OGwovuQ0LYx6gA8W2cDncop07tyX6vso43L6Jy7i9BpAbAhqit0z2rBZ0e66LRESnvee92dwRuv1VHfAmhL3eTrLcgwlQsoeb_2UN_8v1eeuKiFCCPie7FBHhGnSHDRx6xA5ZNo7AuBSuxSOG0desJmgffwnJpVYzrQwbGnx4SXhYNaxrNKhCskBNS3uawj5pE4XY0qrMwhellQJhXFDgPx6XxhdH1Yex_HyKM6HyeYWwIPwqMwNpxssPleRhsxRXOHrF9zrVynQ90Bdo9aLBP_YUa6BHzuGYPsKkNAzxFJeEmYQHURvNoagPSw9SAwvfFD18iZKNBX0_7h-ZAQ=w1897-h1067-no

Dackel

Vinyl will be the last physical medium. I buy, sell and trade quite a bit. We have a very active local record club. If you call records vinyls, you are appropriately ostracized. This came over the weekend. Wonderful.
SSR3lUf56s_Eccy1L1-xJf27yDa93FyegalQ-hhC--lMaNHslXjQPG-jnRLB7yNFZM4U5DE8o4G7ANZBBoWjYXPDDRDATglrH4nxJ9lUYKwii1RDQyYbDeS5hqaNmH5_np1_7oyiA8-IDUsA9hbb8QIgId2hktluFeTCdNrPb1zb0uXUhPMEr0s1QZ7zV_igQdyJzjmJI-adC3IE22rCQqC-7sEjFgnQBZJOu8EcXBhlQ8HAkpPoQ-gn_1Hanr6CcyT-qVFxTW6pUHO5EAMskFOiWuZ1VDcBheg254m2HQgMF3RKKQXd_TUkBG7rOhW9o3fIjB_XhkPrb0hfdmXTrEJZoOMCS-jsoZUqv_ueh1m0e-oeokjuQTWn_zHKrBHN9a0G7C1OGwovuQ0LYx6gA8W2cDncop07tyX6vso43L6Jy7i9BpAbAhqit0z2rBZ0e66LRESnvee92dwRuv1VHfAmhL3eTrLcgwlQsoeb_2UN_8v1eeuKiFCCPie7FBHhGnSHDRx6xA5ZNo7AuBSuxSOG0desJmgffwnJpVYzrQwbGnx4SXhYNaxrNKhCskBNS3uawj5pE4XY0qrMwhellQJhXFDgPx6XxhdH1Yex_HyKM6HyeYWwIPwqMwNpxssPleRhsxRXOHrF9zrVynQ90Bdo9aLBP_YUa6BHzuGYPsKkNAzxFJeEmYQHURvNoagPSw9SAwvfFD18iZKNBX0_7h-ZAQ=w1897-h1067-no
I think that the sense of community is one of the driving factors behind the vinyl revival. While it is possible to swap playlists the trading on physical format for another (or simply going to the local shop and flicking through the albums) has more of a real (dare I say physical) meaning too. I was going to say that if vinyl is the last physical format that coming generations will never experience the fun of finding that elusive album in the dusty corner of a shop.. but then I remembered it is the younger generation which is driving this and most probably vinyl is here to stay.

Top Bottom