• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone Else Buying New Vinyl?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I wrote the appeal above. It has nothing to do with retro but with the process. That was your interpretation. I love people patronise in telling what we like, how we should like it and why.
I'm not trying to tell you what you should like, but it seems your cohorts are doing just that, and being quite effective at it. Just saying. ;)

sitherion

I'm not trying to tell you what you should like, but it seems your cohorts are doing just that, and being quite effective at it. Just saying. ;)

My cohorts…dude…you just read a post and you know what my cohorts are. Ok Sherlock.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
My cohorts…dude…you just read a post and you know what my cohorts are. Ok Sherlock.
I am not your dude, and I am certainly not Sherlock, so please refrain from such remarks. I assumed the article you posted was from a 'cohort' who likes the term 'vinyls'. Since you are defending the term, that makes you a cohort of his.

ArtDJ

An album like Billie Eilish is created entirely in the digital domain with samples, digital instruments and plenty of modern digital manipulation. I don't really see the point of buying it on vinyl to get the analog experience from it.

I like vinyl but most of my LP purchases have been older albums that were recorded and mixed to analog tape. In that case I think playing the vinyl record completes the experience of hearing it as intended.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An album like Billie Eilish is created entirely in the digital domain with samples, digital instruments and plenty of modern digital manipulation. I don't really see the point of buying it on vinyl to get the analog experience from it.

I like vinyl but most of my LP purchases have been older albums that were recorded and mixed to analog tape. In that case I think playing the vinyl record completes the experience of hearing it as intended.

Vinyl is a completely different animal from reel-to-reel tape, so no you're not listening to what they intended.

A digital rip of the reel-to-reel tape will be more accurate, I'm all in for using enjoying things for the sake of enjoying things but lets not perpetuate ignorance.

ArtDJ

Vinyl is a completely different animal from reel-to-reel tape, so no you're not listening to what they intended.

A digital rip of the reel-to-reel tape will be more accurate, I'm all in for using enjoying things for the sake of enjoying things but lets not perpetuate ignorance.

You're right, that was a bad choice of words. I should have said, playing the vinyl record completes the experience of hearing it as most people remember it.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Vinyl is an imperfect medium. The cutting and reproducing process adds distortions which are largely euphonic in nature. It is quite possible, and is usually the case, that the vinyl 'copy' of an otherwise digital source recording can actually sound 'better' than the original digital source.

That's true in my case and why I like vinyl. But for recordings, usually classical, that I want to be assured are as close as possible to the original digital source, I go with the digital file.

sitherion

I am not your dude, and I am certainly not Sherlock, so please refrain from such remarks. I assumed the article you posted was from a 'cohort' who likes the term 'vinyls'. Since you are defending the term, that makes you a cohort of his.

You get easily offended for someone who just got off the train from Patroniseville full luggage on hand.

Refrain from playing smart to people and from “assuming” 1.8 billion persons think and act alike and maybe, then maybe you get the politeness you do demand but do not show.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
You get easily offended for someone who just got off the train from Patroniseville full luggage on hand.

Refrain from playing smart to people and from “assuming” 1.8 billion persons think and act alike and maybe, then maybe you get the politeness you do demand but do not show.
Congrats, you've made it to my ignore list.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Mark Liberman disagrees with the above statement Language Log » Peeve emergence: The case of "vinyls" (upenn.edu)
(Yes, I am 35yr old millennial) :)
Just make this 66 y.o. boomer happy and call them LPs. On the one hand, the rule as regards pluralization is, as Prof. [I assume from his tone] Liberman points out, not such a fixed and hard thing. On the other hand "Vinyls" sounds plumb ignorant, like someone was wacked upside the head with a 2 x 4. Call them what they were called from the beginning, Long Playing Records, usually abbreviated to L.P.s.

sitherion

Just make this 66 y.o. boomer happy and call them LPs. On the one hand, the rule as regards pluralization is, as Prof. [I assume from his tone] Liberman points out, not such a fixed and hard thing. On the other hand "Vinyls" sounds plumb ignorant, like someone was wacked upside the head with a 2 x 4. Call them what they were called from the beginning, Long Playing Records, usually abbreviated to L.P.s.

hahaha it might be the fact also that I’m Greek and English is not my mother language (I’m not being sarcastic here). It does not sound so bad to my ears as to a native speaker I assume.

I’ve been living for 12 years in the U.K. but still I read somewhere that you never get native proficiency (especially in accent) unless you have studied something from an early age. :)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy them at shows if they have them. Usually the ticket prices for the artists I go see are lower than they should be so it makes me feel like I am paying what I should. If I can get the cover signed it's a bonus. Then I usually stream the recording, too lazy to spin the record and the digital is better anyway. I have to say, though, the sound quality of these new ones is almost always miles above the crap flimsy ones I used to get in the 1980s, that had bad audible defects on the first play.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why tf do people call LPs vinyls?
I dunno, but if I ran the world they would only do it once, before they met their final run out grove.
558dfa0e3a3f4.image.jpg

ArtDJ

A digital rip of the reel-to-reel tape will be more accurate...

One more thing to add about this. While a true digital rip of the reel-to-reel tape would be more accurate, that's no longer true when the digital file is brickwall limited like most CDs are today as a result of the loudness war. Old albums that have been remastered are often brickwalled on the CD but not on the original vinyl. That's one reason some people think vinyl sounds better.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I have to say, though, the sound quality of these new ones is almost always miles above the crap flimsy ones I used to get in the 1980s, that had bad audible defects on the first play.

Yes, the overall quality of vinyl is far higher than when it was the mainstream source of music releases. When vinyl was almost the only game in town, we had to accept what the record companies released. Now vinyl is a much more optional choice which raises or falls on its quality.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Call them what they were called from the beginning, Long Playing Records, usually abbreviated to L.P.s.
Apart from then they are not LPs, some of also have singles and EPs, so I like vinyl as a catch all for the different types.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pre digital you had the analogue master tape, now you have the digital master, vinyl made from either doesn't sound the same as the master, they both get the vinyl effect applied, so I don't really see the difference.

I say I'll buy vinyl sometimes, as something different from the digital version, but almost never do, too lazy.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Apart from then they are not LPs, some of also have singles and EPs, so I like vinyl as a catch all for the different types.
Then there's the original RCA competing format which became generically called '45s'. Then there's '78s'. I guess today's 'vinyl' could most accurately be called the Columbia Long Playing Record.

Never mind the fight between cylinders verses disks.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Getting back on track. My next purchase will most likely be ghosh in the shell ost. As its readily available on record new.

Top Bottom