• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anybody in the US have experience purchasing from Audiophonics (France)?

Newk Yuler

I'm ready to purchase a pair of Audiophonics LPA-S400ET small case stereo Purifi amps but I've stumbled on the shipping choices to the states. They use TNT Express International which is apparently partly by FedEx and Colissimo French Post International. Differences in shipping cost aside, which is better reliable? Both have poor reviews on the web. Also how do you exclude VAT charges with them? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
VAT won't be included. When you order with a US address it will reflect the correct price. There will be a foreign transaction fee of $15-20 when using a U.S. credit card.

I had no issues with shipping. Once it left France it got to me in the midwest U.S. within 5 days, so pretty good. I don't remember having a choice with shipping - they used TNT IIRC.

OP
Newk Yuler

Newk Yuler

I just found on the web that FedEx acquired TNT in 2016. It's the cheaper option, too.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There will be a foreign transaction fee of $15-20 when using a U.S. credit card.

From your credit card or Audiophonics?

If from Audiophonics, that's some BS charge.
If from credit card, that's completely dependent on the credit card. There are plenty of cards that don't charge foreign transaction fees.

Another important note is to never let the place you're purchasing from exchange to your currency. ALWAYS pick their local currency. Your credit card will (should) use market exchange rates. The shop will use 5-10% lower than market, meaning it will cost you that much more. I don't know if this happens with online shops. It's pretty normal in restaurants and shops in areas with high levels of tourism. It's called Dynamic Currency Conversion, if anyone wants to read more about it.

In short, use credit card with no foreign transaction fees, always choose to run the card in local (foreign) currency. Then you'll buy the thing at the actual price via prevailing market exchange rates.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From your credit card or Audiophonics?
Yes, from the CC. Just something for people to be aware of.

I just went through a mock order and it looks like you do get to choose the carrier. I don't recall that back in May. I remember there were issues due to COVID and not all options were available.

Also, you don't get to choose the currency when ordering - it processes with Euros. Otherwise, good advice.

Also for those worried about availability issues, I just checked and the amp says:

Availability date: 2020-09-02 (insert thumb up emoji which is absent on ASR)

OP
Newk Yuler

Newk Yuler

Thanks, guys. I think I have enough to make a decision.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered from Audiophonics in June. No VAT, small transaction fee from my cc as noted above. TNT was the only option at the time, but I would’ve chosen that option anyway. Got to me quickly and without incident.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
The main thing to check when ordering equipment from countries that have different utility power voltage is that they have universal power supplies, or that they can be configured for different voltages.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main thing to check when ordering equipment from countries that have different utility power voltage is that they have universal power supplies, or that they can be configured for different voltages.

Good point. With Audiophonics, you have to specify the power supply voltage when you order.

samsa

• Use a credit card without a foreign transaction fee.
  • Delivery to the US (via TNT) was about a week.
  • With the Purifi amps, you are asked to specify a 110 vs 230V ps. The Hypex amps are equiped with an auto-sensing ps. Mine came with a European IEC cord. Fortunately, I have lots of IEC cords lying around.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Not having to pay VAT often makes euro product purchases a really good deal for us not in the EU or UK. Shipping varies depending on vendor though, from a few days to up to 4 weeks... IME, most are within a week of the day sent.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered from Audiophonics in June. No VAT, small transaction fee from my cc as noted above. TNT was the only option at the time, but I would’ve chosen that option anyway. Got to me quickly and without incident.

Any bills for BS “brokerage fees” from the shipper after the fact? What about customs duties?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Any bills for BS “brokerage fees” from the shipper after the fact? What about customs duties?
I never had to pay any extra ordering from the EU or UK to the US. If you go to the US customs site, electronics and audio gear in general coming from the EU are exempt from taxes.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point. With Audiophonics, you have to specify the power supply voltage when you order.
There is no point where you are asked that, at least not for the NCore amps. The power supply works with 110-230V AC. No worries! You just won't have a use for the Euro power cord they will include in the box.

DSC_0320.jpg

GiBo61

I can only say that their pre-sale support is extremely poor:

Here was my question:

Message from a Audiophonics customer:
I'm considering to buy a Audiophonics power amplifier. I'm still deciding among the:
- Audiophonics MPA-S250NC RCA Class D Stereo Amplifier Ncore 2x250W 4 Ohm
- Audiophonics LPA-S500NC Amplificateur Stéréo Class D Ncore 2x500W 4 Ohm
- Audiophonics HPA-S250NC Stereo Class D Amplifier NCore 2x250W 4 Ohm
- Audiophonics HPA-S500NC Stereo Class D Amplifier 2x500W 4 Ohm NCore

I have 3 questions:
- I have a Loxjie D30 DAC I will use as a preamp connected to the Audiophonics power amplifier. Is the variable output level of the of this DAC high enough to drive to their full power the amplifiers I listed above?
- What is the real advantage to have a dual mono instead of a stereo power amplifier?
- I've seen a problem with a NC502MP in terms of background noise (Audiosciencereview forum). Is this a common issue with Hypex Ncore NC252MP and NC502MP models?

Below is the answer (I do not know if I'm more shocked by the second or the third one...):

Hi,
  • Yes you'll have enough output power
  • it's only cosmetic (hardware used is the same)
  • Yes it's a common issue on those boards
I stay at your disposal.

Best regards

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can only say that their pre-sale support is extremely poor:

Here was my question:

Message from a Audiophonics customer:
I'm considering to buy a Audiophonics power amplifier. I'm still deciding among the:
- Audiophonics MPA-S250NC RCA Class D Stereo Amplifier Ncore 2x250W 4 Ohm
- Audiophonics LPA-S500NC Amplificateur Stéréo Class D Ncore 2x500W 4 Ohm
- Audiophonics HPA-S250NC Stereo Class D Amplifier NCore 2x250W 4 Ohm
- Audiophonics HPA-S500NC Stereo Class D Amplifier 2x500W 4 Ohm NCore

I have 3 questions:
- I have a Loxjie D30 DAC I will use as a preamp connected to the Audiophonics power amplifier. Is the variable output level of the of this DAC high enough to drive to their full power the amplifiers I listed above?
- What is the real advantage to have a dual mono instead of a stereo power amplifier?
- I've seen a problem with a NC502MP in terms of background noise (Audiosciencereview forum). Is this a common issue with Hypex Ncore NC252MP and NC502MP models?

Below is the answer (I do not know if I'm more shocked by the second or the third one...):

Hi,
  • Yes you'll have enough output power
  • it's only cosmetic (hardware used is the same)
  • Yes it's a common issue on those boards
I stay at your disposal.

Best regards

There’s nothing poor about that response. Their responses are honest and correct.

I, and to my knowledge everyone else here who’s posted about their experience with the company, have had positive pre- and post-sale experiences with them.

GiBo61

There’s nothing poor about that response. Their responses are honest and correct.

I, and to my knowledge everyone else here who’s posted about their experience with the company, have had positive pre- and post-sale experiences with them.
1) Well, I guess they are honest when they say that some sort of hiss-hum-background noise "it's a common issue" on NC252MP and NC502MP based amplifiers even if this is disconcerting. Is it a common issue for Audiophonics or for that class of chips no matter the brand of the amplifier's producer? Based only on that statement who would ever buy one of those machines from Audiophonics? The Cambridge Evo 150 uses a NC252M module and after spending $2500 I guess that no one would tollerate any hiss or hum coming from the device.
2) It's a nonsense to say that the difference between their "dual mono" and "stereo" amplifiers "it's only cosmetic (hardware used is the same)". The AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC is a stereo amplifier based on ONE amplification module Hypex Ncore NC252MP while it's dual mono counterpart AUDIOPHONICS HPA-S250NC is based on TWO Hypex NCore NC250MP modules with TWO switching power supply units with synchronous regulation. Usually HiFi vendors do not carry this type of products and the number of reviews and user comments are still somehow limited. I was asking advice to a producer/vendor how should know the pros and cons of what he is selling.
Maybe the employer who replied to my request tough I was interested in the "mono" and not the "dual mono" amplifiers (I clearly stated it in my email). I was not the one how classified their product as mono, stereo or dual mono, in their web page (see the screenshot below). I will try to clarify again this point with him but is not particularly encouraging when you get such a concise reply to your questions.

Attachments

• screenshot_2374.jpg
    screenshot_2374.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 77
Top Bottom