• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Any point to upgrade DAC power supply?

aslan7

Specifically thinking about a Teddy Pardo power supply for an RME ADI-2. Is this just hype or something that will make an audible improvement? Thanks.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the likelihood of a "power supply upgrade" will improve a competently designed product such as the RME ADI-2 is close to none. Anyway, given that its already superb performance with the stock power supply, any potential improvement will be of academic interest only as they will be far beyond the ability of humans to discern.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...version-2-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.13379/

OP
aslan7

aslan7

That sounds like a solid, sensible answer. I was curious because some people swear that the upgrade is transformative. But then they believe in exotic power cords and interconnects also. Thanks. Rt

OP
aslan7

aslan7

My only experience with fancy power supplies is that the Exogal Comet offered one for $500 extra, making it the Comet Plus. When I made the huge mistake of buying Exogal it was the Plus model. I heard no audible difference with or without the power supply. I assumed something was wrong with me because all the pundits thought it was a huge improvement. I guess power supplies, like cables, get pulled and banged around a lot so the main idea is to be certain that such accessories aren't damaged. I wonder if as an experiment I could hook up the Exogal external power supply to the RME strictly as an experiment.

Katji

Major Contributor
The usual/basic concept is that a linear power supply will not generate noise like a switching mode power supply. ("The devils are in the details.")

If you want to experiment like that, make sure that the Exogal power supply output voltage matches the RME input voltage.

JSmith

Major Contributor
Teddy Pardo power supply for an RME ADI-2

1615249566862.png

I found something lacking with speakers but couldn't put my finger on it. I almost sent RME back. I added a 12v Teddy Pardo power supply and soundstage grew taller, wider and layered. Everything has a more natural tone, organic and real, I find it a game changer. I'm listening to it as I write this and very impressed with the change it made. I didn't want to give up on RME due to it being so open and clean without being harsh. I think the Teddy Pardo made it possible for me to keep RME a very long time.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rme-adi-2-dac-thread.868015/page-224

One can only imagine this person had 2 units, one with the stock, one with the "upgrade", was able to switch between the two and could reliably tell the difference between the two.

JSmith

OP
aslan7

aslan7

I can see the attraction to an exotic Israeli small, well made box but that is pure psychology. I would do better to study the RME manual which is very daunting. But that thing sounds amazing. I never considered how audiophile consumers see gear as furniture. The Exogal is a beautifully made space age looking unit and the RME plain and utilitarian but incomparably better. It is really a pleasure to listen to things now. I guess most of you aren’t tube enthusiasts and with the RME digital is really lifelike.

Top Bottom