• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplification recommendation w Rega and Proac?

Greg S

Hi, so glad I came upon this forum!

I'm currently using a base level Planar 1 and Proac Super Tablettes from around 1987. Amp is an old but functional Sony STR-AV570 receiver.

Once upon a time, I had a nicely tweaked Thorens TD160 through a Quad 33/405 and these very speakers, and I feel like the sound was kind of bigger, more nicely enveloping then.

So I'm wondering what more knowledgeable people might suggest for system improvement, and whether amplification is my weak link at the moment. I'm looking at cxa81 and at AVA stuff, budget probably $1000-2000, but I'm totally open to other suggestions... integrated, separate, phono... could slightly increase the budget if there's good reason.

Down the road, I will add a good cd player and internet radio source, but I have stuff that will do that for now; recommendations gratefully received though!

Thanks, Greg

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The general view here is that well designed electronics operated within spec will make little to no difference to your sound.

So if your Sony AVR is not being driven into clipping when listening at your desired volume level, then changing the amp is unlikely to make much of a difference.

If your perception that those speakers sounded better in the past (and the reality of this is open to some doubt - our long term auditory memory is basically non-existant), then is it possible this was in a different listening space, or with different speaker positioning, or with different soft furnishings in the living space. Sound differences are far more likely from speaker/room interaction differences than they are from changing electronics. With your budget you may get a far more significant improvement by upgrading speakers, rather than amplificaition.

Having said that - if you really want to change amps, I'd be looking at amps based on the Hypex or Purify class D modules.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

Your Sony is probably 30+ years old. So I am not going to fault you for considering getting a replacement :)

I'd suggest taking a look at the NAD C399. It uses Hypex nCore modules for power amplifications, and offers the option of adding the BluOS upgrade (currently at USD$399), which adds streaming and more importantly, Dirac Live room EQ and bass management capability. Room EQ and bass management are among the most effective means of improving sound quality in your listening room (the other 2 are adequate room treatments and good loudspeakers).

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use an NAD integrated with my Tablettes. I'd also look at Rotel, Parasound, and Marantz. Denon PMA & CEOL, also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom