• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplification Advice Sought

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To drive the new KEF R11s that I've got on order, I'm considering the following power amplifiers:

March P502
March P452
NAD C298
Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra

Any thoughts? The speakers have an impedance minimum approaching 2 ohms, which has me a little concerned despite their fairly high sensitivity. Also, are there other amps I ought to consider in the less-than-$2,500 category? These speakers will be placed in a room about 20 ft square by 18 ft high, pretty hard surfaces (porcelain tile floor, marble and drywall walls, no rugs, leather chairs and sofa) and a couple of largish openings that cannot be closed off.

I'm a little gunshy on the VTVs given what has been posted here relative to build quality.

Second, related question: I will have one speaker located about 12 ft as the cable crawls away from the audio cabinet (built-in), and the second only about 3-4 ft away. I assume I need to use the same cable length for both, correct?

Thanks!

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ideally you need to hear what others with these speakers use. Is there a KEF forum for example?

I believe it's been shown that exactly equal speaker cable length is not necessary. However if you are not spending a great deal on these cables (and nobody on here will suggest you should) it won't matter much.

Your room is very unusual and you will surely have problems getting a decent sound at your listening position with any speaker. You might want to ask about this on the Room Acoustics forum:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-acoustics-and-general-speaker-discussions.9/

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about Cherry amps? Or ATI?

3-4 feet difference is meaningless.

Top Bottom