• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ALAC or FLAC?

Musichead

Hi Everyone,

Is there any real difference between these two? Apart from the obvious … one is more suited to Apple products and the is open source…

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
FLAC will have better compatibility. Compression wise there is not much difference between most of the lossless codecs and with the way storage sizes (and prices) have gone, I don't think it matters much. I would always choose FLAC as it's become the standard lossless codec and is widely supported.

I used to re-encode and switch formats when new ones came up in the past. Could've saved a lot of CPU cycles and headaches if I just stayed with FLAC in the first place...

Last edited:
OP
M

Musichead

Alac is more or less the same, but the coding/decoding require more cpu and drm can be applied (what can't happen with flac). Soundwise there is no difference.
Thank you for your feedback

OP
M

Musichead

FLAC will have better compatibility. Compression wise there is not much difference between most of the lossless codecs and with the way storage sizes (and prices) have gone, I don't think it matters much. I would always choose FLAC as it's become the standard lossless codec and is widely supported.

I used to re-encode and switch formats when new ones came up in the past. Could've saved a lot of CPU cycles and headaches if I just stayed with FLAC in the first place...
Thanks for the feedback

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I stick to 44.1khz 16 bit FLAC since I use them in the car stereo and other devices for playback and it's always compatible.

OP
M

Musichead

Thanks for your feedback

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Hi Everyone,

Is there any real difference between these two? Apart from the obvious … one is more suited to Apple products and the is open source…

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks
There are more tools available on every platform (including devices such as streamers) for handling FLAC than ALAC. Otherwise there are no advantages

Waxx

Major Contributor
There is some old myths here.

ALAC has been open source under the Apache License version 2.0 on October 27, 2011, nor does it use any DRM scheme.
that is true, but ALAC can have DRM added in the file (it's not done anymore in +99.99% of the cases, but the option exist).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course the sound quality. The stereo separation, quitar more recognized, etc.
Sounds more like differences applied in the player rather than the codec.....they're both simply lossless codecs and have no "sound".

OldTimer

That's nonsense. They are both lossless codecs, if the source master was the same, they would sound exactly the same.
It is like night and day between songs played by Flacbox and Apple Music. FLAC is the king.
I compare the same song 16 bit 44.1khz in both app. Even the 24bit more damage to the Apple Music.
I’m using the free version of Flacbox which doesn’t has EQ. The paid version has the EQ.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is like night and day between songs played by Flacbox and Apple Music. FLAC is the king.
I compare the same song 16 bit 44.1khz in both app. Even the 24bit more damage to the Apple Music.
It may just be a different master or Sound Check. The codec is most certainly not to blame.

Top Bottom