• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K612. Has the faulty batch been fixed?

Sombreuil

Apparently this pair is known to have problems on the left side, where there is literally no sound after a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if it's been fixed? I can get them used for 75€, but I'm a bit scared since there seems to have tons of problems with those.

Jimmy

I don't know if there's a faulty batch or not, but there's a common trait with all these headphones (the series starting with the old K30X), and it's because how the cables are internally attached. In short, when the cups swivel, the internal wires move slightly with them too.

I suppose it may depend on how it's internally positioned from the factory, and the soldering quality, that the problem shows, but that's just a guess, and I don't believe it's common at all.

For example, with my K702 (5-6 years old), I've never had to fix them (I've checked the internal cabling anyway), but my old K401 that uses the same principle, I've fixed them a few times, and in the end completely recabled them.

You can see how it's done here (it's basically the same) :

However, although in all those videos people remove the grills with pliers and pointy tools, there's a much simpler way to do it, using either a rubber ball (like the one used to remove watch case backs), or just double sided tape, so it gets grippy and can be turned counter-clockwise just with your hand.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sombreuil

I see. Seems like I'd most likely need to fix them one day or another. I'll look for a K702/1 instead then, thanks for the answer!

Jimmy

K702 uses the same system (as in the video), the only difference in that regard is that the cable is detachable.

I guess choice between K612 and K702 should be done based on preferences, I never liked the K702 very much, and I rarely use them nowadays, I don't know about K612, I never heard one.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sombreuil

Wouldn't I get around the problem by having a detachable cable? Or did I misunderstand the problem?

Jimmy

The detachable cable is nice to have, but the mechanism inside the cups is the same, so the wires will have some flexing, but unless the soldering is defective they shouldn't fail anytime soon.

I guess that apart from the cable the biggest difference are the earpads, angled (K702) or flat (K612), tonally both should be very similar (judging from measurements).

Last edited:
OP
S

Sombreuil

It's such a shame that a compagny like AKG still has that kind of problems in 2021 :facepalm:.

Jimmy

My K702 are more than 5 years old and are still fine, so I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think reliability is bad at all, and if they fail they are easy and cheap to fix.

Also have in mind that all headphones are subject to wear and tear, along the way it's inevitable to change at least the earpads, headphones are not like speakers, that can last a lifetime without maintenance.

In my case I have two problems with them, first comfort, the headband presses on top of the head and I have to take them off after a couple of hours or less.

And second the sound signature, they depart quite a bit from my favourite set tonally wise, the HD600, soundstage it's wider but I could never really get to like them as a whole.

Anyway, don't take my word for it, not everybody has the same preferences.

Last edited:
Top Bottom