• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding Neurochrome's GUARDIAN-86 to Purifi Build

MASKINEN

I was premature in the quoted post, pops continued. I eventually did purchase Tom's Guardian modules and they did the job. You can still hear when a pop occurs, but it's muted significantly - I've been very happy with the results. Very simple to install.

Ah thanks that should do the trick!

MASKINEN

You might get better results if you tap into the +65 V instead. It all depends on which supply collapses first.

If you use the 12 V trigger, you can also power the Guardian-86 from the trigger itself. It only consumes 6 mA. That way you're guaranteed that the output will be disabled as soon as the trigger goes away.
OTOH, if the pop is on start-up you're better off using the +12 V or +65 V.

If the preamp is making the pop on startup there's not much you can do about it other than delay the turn-on of the power amp.

Tom
Tom,
In my case it’s the Purifi based modules that causes the pop since it pops without the preamp connected as well.

Mine does not really pops on turn off, only when turning on the amplifier.

I thought the Guardian-86 needed 15V to function. Using the 12V to power your module sounds like a good solution as well.

OP
KenMasters

KenMasters

Do you have any pictures of the installation?

No, sorry. They were simple to implement though, made even easier by the amount of available space in the Nord chassis.

My problem was the same as yours, the occasional pop on startup, no issue on shutdown.

MASKINEN

No, sorry. They were simple to implement though, made even easier by the amount of available space in the Nord chassis.

My problem was the same as yours, the occasional pop on startup, no issue on shutdown.

No worries! Would be nice to see the result though.

I think it’s a bit odd that some people have pops on startup with Purifi modules but seems like most doesn’t have that at all.

OP
KenMasters

KenMasters

I think it’s a bit odd that some people have pops on startup with Purifi modules but seems like most doesn’t have that at all.

Yip, sometimes I play with the idea of getting a multichannel Purifi amp from Apollon Audio - mainly because I like the look of their premium amplifiers but partly just because I want to see if it'll have the same problem or not.

MASKINEN

Yip, sometimes I play with the idea of getting a multichannel Purifi amp from Apollon Audio - mainly because I like the look of their premium amplifiers but partly just because I want to see if it'll have the same problem or not.

I agree with you and I’m asking myself the same thing. I’ve asked Apollo and at least they say that the amps doesn’t have pops on startup. But all manufacturers I’ve asked say the same thing.

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I thought the Guardian-86 needed 15V to function. Using the 12V to power your module sounds like a good solution as well.
I do say 15 V in the spec. Maybe I rounded up. Most Guardian-86 will work from 9 V. The worst case ones will work from 12 V. That's the spec of the li'l voltage regulator IC that I use.

Tom

MASKINEN

I do say 15 V in the spec. Maybe I rounded up. Most Guardian-86 will work from 9 V. The worst case ones will work from 12 V. That's the spec of the li'l voltage regulator IC that I use.

Tom
Ok great, I’ll let you know if I decide to grab 3 modules and implement them.

Thanks Tom!

Rjsme89

BB79E32A-4AE6-4B87-A74E-4AFDD308E216.jpeg
91F84974-D03C-4242-A4AF-ADE5C654973B.jpeg
E2985A51-BE5C-4CF8-80FF-921A9854FFD9.jpeg

First post here.

Finished this build last night using a lot of Tom’s parts, including the Guardian 86 modules. Thought they were a good idea since the cheap DAC I have on my tv will occasionally pop and send my other amp into protection if the volume is up to high.

Anyways, I really just wanted to share some pictures of my completed amp. I’ve got Tom’s buffers, ISS, and Guardian modules in there. I think Tom also still has some of these chassis’s available on his site. Super nice chassis. Couldn’t be happier. And Tom is wonderful to work with, btw.

Amp sounds great. Clean and punchy, uncolored without being boring. Does everything you’d expect from class D without the dry or thin sound I’ve experienced from some of the other class D stuff I’ve owned. Definitely recommend anyone who’s interested put one together and give these modules a listen.

-Russ

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
That's a great-looking build there. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Top Bottom