• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

About to buy Nord class D - how to decide input buffer?

dan_uk

Hi all,

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on either NOird Mono blocs MKII x 2 (Nord's input buffer) OR 1 x dual mono stereo MKII (Nord's input buffer).

However, when you select the Nord Rev D input board, you have a choice of either:
Sparkos 2590
Sonic Imagery 990

Nord says the Sparkos is softer and the Sonic Imagery is open and airy....

My question is, how do I decide without listening to them? Music I love is:
Dance / Techno
Pink Floyd
Chill club music etc...
Alternative/Indie

I recently demo'ed the Niam Supernait 3 vs Rega Aethos vs Exposure 3510, and I thought the Supernait sounded the best.

Any hints or suggestions on if I'd prefer 'softer' or 'open and airy'?

Thanks
Dan

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have found no differences in these. I would say opt for a cheap one but seems like they are only offering those two expensive ones. I would pick whichever is cheaper.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A buffer is one of the easiest and least-critical active circuits there is.

Nord says the Sparkos is softer and the Sonic Imagery is open and airy....
That kind of vague "audiophile nonsense" annoys me. Tell me about something real... Noise, frequency response, or distortion, or the output power, etc.

A high frequency boost might be described as "airy" but you don't want that from an amplifier* and I'm pretty sure that's not what they mean.

* Fosusrite sells a line of audio interfaces with an "Air' button. They say it modifies frequency response but as far as I can tell they don't say exactly what it does. IMO - This is kind-of silly too because if you are recording with an audio interface you're probably already using EQ in your DAW.

OP
D

dan_uk

I have found no differences in these. I would say opt for a cheap one but seems like they are only offering those two expensive ones. I would pick whichever is cheaper.
Thanks, Amirm, much appreciated!

I believe Nord does offer the 'standard' input buffer that comes with NCx500 (MKI I guess it would be called), but offers the Nord Rev D option for £255 more ($320).

Are you suggesting the Nord Rev D offers nothing over the standard NCx500 input? Or choose the cheapest out of Sparkos and Sonic Imagery?

Thanks

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks, Amirm, much appreciated!

I believe Nord does offer the 'standard' input buffer that comes with NCx500 (MKI I guess it would be called), but offers the Nord Rev D option for £255 more ($320).

Are you suggesting the Nord Rev D offers nothing over the standard NCx500 input? Or choose the cheapest out of Sparkos and Sonic Imagery?

Thanks
I would 100% recommend the standard NCx500 “buffer” and save the cash.

Zoomer

The reason these buffer choices are offered is to create higher profit-margin products, not better performing gear.

Top Bottom