• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

About head fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purplefuzz256

What going on there i get the 3rd degree on making a account and now for some odd reason they banned me for spam. Tried to contact them but they just ignore you.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What going on there i get the 3rd degree on making a account and now for some odd reason they banned me for spam. Tried to contact them but they just ignore you.

Forum rules there promote stereotypical audiophile subjectivist and posting objective scientific methodology is considered spam outside of sound science subforum.

OP
P

Purplefuzz256

Forum rules there promote stereotypical audiophile subjectivist and posting objective scientific methodology is considered spam outside of sound science subforum.

Yup i noticed that when i used to lurk there. Allot of users really hate stuff being questioned with the IEM area being the worst, Like how multi driver IEM's are just marketing that got gobbled up.

john5220

It is in their tos and jude made sure everybody knew the consequences of posting any scientific evidence for anything.

The history of NwAvGuy proves this much as I also understand they had a hand in silencing NwAvGuy which I suspect they killed him. It would be a shame if this did happen and they got away with murder.

Head fi is a very dangerous place because it is as NwAvGuy said a marketing propaganda machine for big audio companies.

They have killed people over this because of the billions involved and as such I would not ever recommend using that site at all

The fact that their tos prevents scientific evidence and it is a bannable offense says a lot

The fact that they use your ip address to track you in real life and silence you like they did to NwAvGuy is quite telling

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Head fi is a very dangerous place because it is as NwAvGuy said a marketing propaganda machine for big audio companies.
HF is just a huge wall, full of banner advertising.

Everything which appears on these banners is here to be praised.

No thanks, I lost a ton of money, over my first years in audio, by trusting the BS over there.:mad:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No thanks, I lost a ton of money, over my first years in audio, by trusting the BS over there.:mad:

At least they're open to say "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry for your wallet in advance!"

raif71

Major Contributor
I just joined head fi forum as they have users info/feedback on some of the audio stuff I bought. Plenty of happy helpful people over there, here too as well :D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The fact that they use your ip address to track you in real life and silence you like they did to NwAvGuy is quite telling

I used to be able to change my IP address at the cable modem.

I think it was as easy as changing the MAC address of the PC and rebooting the modem.

I suppose it would think it was connected to some different person and would grab a totally new external IP.

Haven't tried it for a while, so don't know if that's still valid, even for me.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Well instead of staying is measures badly you can just say its doesn't sound clean, but distorted and lacking blackness in the imaging. They can't ban you for that ;).

threni

Major Contributor
I used to be able to change my IP address at the cable modem.

I think it was as easy as changing the MAC address of the PC and rebooting the modem.

I suppose it would think it was connected to some different person and would grab a totally new external IP.

Haven't tried it for a while, so don't know if that's still valid, even for me.

Generally you get a new IP address when you reboot the router. I've never needed to change the MAC address; indeed, that would annoy me as i map mac addresses to ip addresses on the router (it's better than giving the clients static ip addresses) It's a good way of getting around sites which only let you download one file an hour or whatever. If you want a static IP address you need to pay. Otherwise people can trivially run servers from home for the ISPs are losing easy money. (You can work around that for free by using dyndns if your router supports it and if you're happy with a slightly naff server name). If you use a mobile phone again they can't track you by IP address because you appear on your network as a local IP address so they'd only see a public ip address of the network your'e on. So if they ban you they're basically banning a different, random customer of the same ISP as yourself every few days. What would be the point of that?

threni

Major Contributor
Can we get back talking about audio rather than other forums please

Cheers

That would presumably be off-topic in this thread?

Taunton, eh? How's Debenhams?

Koeitje

Major Contributor

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I think a poll would be illuminating. How many ASR members have been previously banned from Head-Fi, etc.? *or maybe it's just pointless...

I've been banned from the aforementioned years ago. I was actually really nice and all -- not really confrontational. At the time, at least, there was a "mass purge" of some kind. Can't even remember my previous nickname anymore.

Tks

Major Contributor
The only reason I'd ever make an account there is to make use of the classfields I suppose. Otherwise I never had an interest in that place much.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the Sound Science forum section of head-fi, they have got some good stuff that doesn’t necessarily duplicate what is going on here, The mod of the Sound Science forum seems to have @amirm ’s back, with caution. That one section of head-fi can’t match the scale or pace of this place but there’s some real knowledge going on there. The personalities can be a little prickly (but also great fun) so if you get your feelings hurt easily or are emotionally invested in your posting maybe it’s not for you. :) I kind of which there was a little more synergy going on. . . They need us in Sound Science a lot more than we need them. An influx from here would be nice-but stick to the sound science section! People do wander in there from other parts of head-if and occasionally experience the epiphany.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
In the Sound Science forum section of head-fi, they have got some good stuff that doesn’t necessarily duplicate what is going on here, The mod of the Sound Science forum seems to have @amirm ’s back, with caution. That one section of head-fi can’t match the scale or pace of this place but there’s some real knowledge going on there. The personalities can be a little prickly (but also great fun) so if you get your feelings hurt easily or are emotionally invested in your posting maybe it’s not for you. :) I kind of which there was a little more synergy going on. . . They need us in Sound Science a lot more than we need them. An influx from here would be nice-but stick to the sound science section! People do wander in there from other parts of head-if and occasionally experience the epiphany.
Good for them , I hope that works out and dose not lead to civil war.

Thread closed .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom