• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aavik eliminates intrusive digital signature

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Aavik’s has a new dac,
Aavik strives for the ultimate in authentic musical reproduction and is commitment to perfection, the Aavik SD-880 is designed to eliminate the intrusive “digital signature” of music, limit the level of unwanted noise, enhance the signal’s information flow, and improve resonance control. As a result, the Aavik SD-880 offers listeners streaming music a unique and totally immersive musical experience.

Thank goodness because frankly Digital ‘glare’ was so last century.
Keith

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Aavik’s has a new dac,
Aavik strives for the ultimate in authentic musical reproduction and is commitment to perfection, the Aavik SD-880 is designed to eliminate the intrusive “digital signature” of music, limit the level of unwanted noise, enhance the signal’s information flow, and improve resonance control. As a result, the Aavik SD-880 offers listeners streaming music a unique and totally immersive musical experience.

Keith
Sounds like it belongs into the Snake Oil thread or am I missing something?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I the only one who read this and thought this meant that Aavik was ditching some kind of DRM?

snakedctr

PRICE MSRP: USD: $70,000 / EURO: €67,000
designed to eliminate the intrusive “digital signature” of music, limit the level of unwanted noise,
If someone want to sell high-end things, he must use such terminology... That's what their buyers want. People need something to believe in. ;-)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Absolutely , poor old digital gets such bad press, digital’ glare’ now ‘intrusive digital signature’, makes me laugh.
Imagine if digital had been developed first and someone came up with vinyl, multiple types of distortion poor dynamic range, get up and change the side every twenty minutes and the not inconsideration faff and expense.
Keith

Punter

I'd love to know which DAC chip they're using as this would give us some idea of what other (less expensive) units it could be compared to. 've had a poke around but they're not letting it out on their own website. Nobody seems to have delved into the guts of one either.

dartinbout

Aavik’s has a new dac,

Keith
Does it come with a bottomless pump bottle of Keri-Lotion and an endless supply of Kleenex? Do the sales staff all have callus free palms?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

NON-SWITCHING CONTINUUM PROCESSING DAC

The Aavik SD-880 features an Audio Group Denmark in-house developed and manufactured Non-switching Continuum Processing DAC, in combination with Aavik’s most advanced streamer technology, noise reduction technologies, and a pioneering enclosure design.

Michael Børresen and his team of audio engineers have developed the Aavik Non-Switching Continuum Processing DAC, based on a method where the digital signal is up sampled to 22 MHz and seamlessly converted to an analogue signal, maintaining an uninterrupted continuum of signals without the need to resort to switching arrays.

so it does not use any common mass market chipset

i feel like since we had CD since the middle 80s we should all be used to the 'digital signature'.

boxerfan88

“Non-Switching Continuum Processing DAC”

So what they are flogging is basically resampling everything to DSD512 (22Msps), then push the signal through a LPF?

What’s the big deal? Isn’t that how DSD is supposed to be converted to analog signal?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
"...based on a method where the digital signal is up sampled to 22 MHz and seamlessly converted to an analogue signal, maintaining an uninterrupted continuum of signals without the need to resort to switching arrays."

So, they sample (which requires a switch) a digital signal (which has already been generated by an ADC using comparators that switch, and then process by a bunch of digital circuits using -- you guessed it -- switches) to seamlessly convert to an analog signal -- just like every other DAC on the planet -- maintaining a smooth output -- again like every other DAC measured after the reconstruction filter... I am somehow missing what "switching arrays" other DACs resort to that this one does not? Unless they mean R2R-based designs compared to whatever they are doing (which seems to be a DSD or delta-sigma approach)? If all they do is oversample, without a delta-sigma modulator, then they'll gain some benefit in noise reduction (~0.5 bit for every doubling of the sampling rate) but the rest of the description reads like market-speak intended to obfuscate any real engineering description.

I bet it sounds better when placed next to a Himalayan Salt Lamp.

boxerfan88

I bet it sounds better when placed next to a Himalayan Salt Lamp.

Not recommended. It might just make the analog signal a tad salty.

Punter

"in-house developed and manufactured Non-switching Continuum Processing DAC" Riiiight.... I'm calling BS on that. This company wouldn't have the budget or expertise to design a microchip. The only way they could claim an "in-house" developed and manufactured DAC chip is if they used an FPGA and sported up a shitload of cash to have someone develop the firmware. Even so, it would be an FPGA chip, designed and manufactured by a major chip manufacturer, not these dudes.

Top Bottom