• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

D

Deleted member 65

Here's what I do:

DAC @ 0dB (Max), Computer SW (Roon) @ Fixed volume i.e. Max. Volume controlled by my integrated amp.

Edit: Headroom Management (prevent clipping) in Roon: Not enabled.

Last edited by a moderator:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You should use replaygain in order to avoid clipping.

Clipping where?

*looks at ReplayGain...

"Audio is generally recorded such that the loudest sounds don't clip, but the use of ReplayGain can cause clipping if the average volume of a song is below the target level."

OP
Grave

Grave

Clipping where?

*looks at ReplayGain...

"Audio is generally recorded such that the loudest sounds don't clip, but the use of ReplayGain can cause clipping if the average volume of a song is below the target level."

Is not audio generally recorded such that the loudest sounds do clip? (horrific recording quality)

I assume that the "prevent clipping according to peak" setting prevents replaygain from making the audio too loud.

D

Deleted member 65

Clipping where?

*looks at ReplayGain...

May refer to Intersample Peaks, but what do I know ...

D

Deleted member 65

1541782185389.png

OP
Grave

Grave

Aren't those settings doing nothing because it is disabled?

I see replaygain values of up to -12 dB (yikes) in my music library, so that might be a good value to use.

I turn up the deep bass of my Sennheisers by 7 dB, but the equalizer also turns down the overall volume by 7 dB in order to prevent clipping.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

Aren't those settings doing nothing because it is disabled?

I see replaygain values of up to -12 dB (yikes) in my music library, so that might be a good value to use.

I turn up the deep bass of my Sennheisers by 7 dB, but the equalizer also turns down the overall volume by 7 dB in order to prevent clipping.

Yes they are since they are disabled! Most of my DAC's are able to handle ~+2 dB's Intersample Peaks therefore not needed.

bennetng

Major Contributor
In case of RG and clipping, I wrote something about it, please read the whole thread until the end.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ble-intersample-clipping-test.2231/post-60801
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=2001665&postcount=30

Some important differences between RG and volume control are:
[1] RG is performed within the playback software and independent of audio device driver and APIs like ASIO and WASAPI.
[2] RG supports floating point operation and won't clip or compress values beyond maximum level (+/- 1.0). Regardless of the DAC chip itself is 24-bit or 32-bit, it is not working in floating point. Regardless of the effect is audible or not, values beyond +/-1.0 will be clipped by direct fixed-point conversion if not attenuated.
[3] RG stores metadata in per file and per album and the metadata are user-editable, which means users can customize the volume of each file and each album to their preferences and don't need to adjust the volume level manually each time during playback.

@Grave
I remember you quite respect NwAvGuy and JDS Labs, see what they said:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...review-of-jds-labs-usb-ol-dac.2244/post-61171

See page 4:
https://www.jdslabs.com/pdf/instructions-el-dac.pdf
For maximum signal fdelity, set the DAC to 24-bit audio and adjust digital volume slightly below 100% at your computer. Only control volume from your amplifer.

You can also see the IMD+N vs level tests in Amir's tests, it is not uncommon to see increased distortion when the level is above for example -5dB in many products.

Overloads caused by digital reasons should be avoided by using RG and/or digital volume control. Analog volume controls cannot deal with them. When the data are converted to analog, using analog volume control or not IMO is a matter of taste.

Last edited:
OP
Grave

Grave

So as long as you are using replaygain or digital volume control to turn down the volume then you should be good.

Top Bottom