• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

4k HDR Projector on 100 inch or Large >=85 inches OLED TV

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I love movies. My bedroom TV (LG CX 55) is superior to my PJ (BenQ HT 2050A) ... or ... perhaps, any PJ in all aspects of pictures except size...
I have a Stewart 100 inch screen in a dedicated , almost :) batcave (dark gray walls and ceiling) but some brick to make it easy to live in. It works. I sit 12 feet from the screen in a 16 x10 x 9 ft (LxWxH) room. I feel the itch of 4K pictures provided by my bedroom setup: OLG OLED 55 inches + Sony 4K disk player and/or Apple TV 4K.
  1. Invest in a true 4K Projector with HDR and Dolby Truvision etc ... or ...
  2. Smaller screen but higher PQ with a 85" or larger of the better OLED or microLED TVs out there..
The move could even cost less than a decent 4k PJ . These seem to hover at this point in time above $5000...

Opinions on this..

Please

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
don't 85" OLED screens approach 20k$?

Either way, after buying my LG GX i would not 'upgrade' to anything else except maybe microLED when it's properly adopted in 2023 or 2024.

The contrast, the blacks, the color uniformity, it's all mind blowing and i would never trade it for something larger.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
83” LG is $6K, 83” Sony is $8K.

it seems like the G1 is not available in 83", which is why I jumped immediately to the ZX.

I would not get the C1 to be honest, it's basically a (further) polished CX, while the brightness boost in G1 is kind of worth the money.

however similar to sound, we perceive brightness logarithmically so the 20% boost might not be that big of a deal for you.

But I can still notice the brightness difference between the A90J and the G1 (While the G1 is a tiny bit more accurate) further complicating the situation. The A90J is the first OLED TV capable of covering the entire dynamic range of HDR.

OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I am aware of the superiority of OLED (or even LED/LCD with local dimming) on any PJ. I am bit worried about the size and immersion that my current 100 inches screen provides. And to remember that 20~30 years ago 85 inches was a sizable screen for PJ with stacked CRTs for a dim 10~12 ft-lambert picture .. today, the better TVs on some HDR material require a sunglass for safe viewing in a dark room :p
Due to COVID-19 resurgence in my country, I am even less inclined to go to the few store with 85 inches TV and/or visit people; so I need your advices and opinions before moving on. I asked the same question at AVSForum by the way and haven't seen many replies... :(

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a 142" 2:35:1 screen and constant height projector setup for several years. It replaced a 65" Panasonic plasma and was itself replaced by an 85" 4K HDR/Dolby Vision LED TV. If I had a separate dedicated home theater room it would have a projector. The immersion provided by a 142" diagonal picture just cannot be beat. That said, in a multipurpose family room, 85" is wonderful. I've not regretted the decision of moving to the 85" TV.

Martin

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any projector will fall short in dynamic range versus LED/LCD panels. It comes down to how much you value the larger screen. 85 inch vs 100 inch I might go with the panel. But if you go larger like Martin's case with 142 inch vs say 85 inch I'd stick with the larger size. You could go to 120 or 130 inch screen with your distance of 12 feet. Of course your room may have other features that make that an issue placing either the screen or where you need to position the projector.

Something worth looking into might be an Ambient Light Rejecting screen. Your contrast and dynamic range improve dramatically. I don't think it will let a projector match a good panel, but it closes the gap quite a bit. If you could go 120 inch with an ALR screen I'd go that route.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Save your money. Buy an audio file Ethernet switch and a couple power thingies and like a really nice crt. Oh btw power thingies will make your crt look like an old.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Can you adjust the image size of your current projector to produce an 85" (or 77", or whatever) picture instead of 100"? Then you could see if it matters, though downsizing is hard. :)

Note 84" = 7' so at 12' you are within the typical "2 x diagonal" viewing distance limit rule-of-thumb. I noticed RTINGS puts the distance at 12' for an 84" screen diagonal so viewing-wise that seems to be fine for you setup. I find too large a screen vexing since you can't take in the entire thing but other folk prefer having the screen extend for greater immersion.

I have very limited experience with modern projectors but did do a demo last year. I don't remember the projector but think it was a big (and I do mean big, physically!) top-rated JVC that was something like $20k~$25k USD. Even on a very large screen it threw a sharp picture in a dedicated (dim) room. That said, I am quite happy with my 65" OLED at about 8'~9', though contemplating a 77" (biggest will fit in my space) later this year or next.

YMMV - Don

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
I did what you're contemplating very recently. Had (and still use during the daytime) a Panasonic 65" 1080p plasma. Decided on JVC RS1000 4k projector and 133" Stewart Filmscreen Firehawk G4. I don't have a bat cave type of room. The walls are white, two of the walls are about 80% window, and the other two walls are partially open to adjoining rooms, so less than ideal conditions. Nonetheless, I am absolutely delighted with the result. Colors are noticeably less saturated vs the plasma, but that is the only downside. Some programming can look pretty washed out. But the size of the screen more than compensates, imo. You already know this from your previous projector, but I get a lot more out of a movie when it is magnified the way it was originally intended to be. Regular TV programming say, like Botched, or the nightly news, or an interview program doesn't benefit much, and looks better on plasma. So it depends on your tastes and use case. At first, when the gear had arrived and I hadn't yet had it installed, I was having second thoughts about my decision to spend so much on the setup, but now I'm really glad that I did, and will probably always want something of a similar scale.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My take is if you have the space for projector (light controlled and can accommodate a 100-120inch wide screen) go with a 4K projector such as a JVC RS1000/2000. OLED sizes keep getting bigger still can’t match immersion/scale of a projector/screen for movies IMO.

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Guys
My experience with oled TVs is non existent but I have read lots of comments regarding ‘Screen Burn’. Apparently you have to watch for this when buying an ex demo unit, especially if it has been switched on to a channel that has a banner at the bottom like news channels and it’s been left on for hours. Exactly how many hours this takes the articles didn’t say. Anyway I hope this helps.

Regards to all

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
New movie and tv content has a lot of dark scenes. They started that trend because digital camera tech allows it. I couldn’t watch Han Solo because of it nor some episodes of Walking Dead and GOT… my point is that projectors will not handle those dark scenes well. OLEDs and qLEDs will be much better.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New movie and tv content has a lot of dark scenes. They started that trend because digital camera tech allows it. I couldn’t watch Han Solo because of it nor some episodes of Walking Dead and GOT… my point is that projectors will not handle those dark scenes well. OLEDs and qLEDs will be much better.
I have had 3 JVC D-ILA projectors and the latest one I have the NX7 is outstanding. If you are in a completely light controlled room, the picture is just amazing (including the dark scenes). Have you had an opportunity to see one of the newer JVC projectors, calibrated, in a light controlled room? Your comments don’t really match my experience but everyone has their preferences, etc

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I have had 3 JVC D-ILA projectors and the latest one I have the NX7 is outstanding. If you are in a completely light controlled room, the picture is just amazing (including the dark scenes). Have you had an opportunity to see one of the newer JVC projectors, calibrated, in a light controlled room? Your comments don’t really match my experience but everyone has their preferences, etc
Unfortunately, no. I speak from my experience with older LCD Sanyo PJ and now Samsung UHD tv. I am glad projector tech has improved, but I believe that no projector will ever have blacks like oled and those dark shadow details…
Hope I am wrong, because no TV will ever be available in sizes that I would love to have for my screen.
Laser short throw projectors with reflective screens appear to be the future...

Top Bottom