• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$300 Desktop Headphone Balanced Amp with AKM DAC?

museguy

Hi All,
Please excuse the n00b question.

I have tried to search the Review Index with no luck. Is there a desktop balanced headphone amp with a AKM DAC?

Thank you!
Very much appreciated

DTTOM37

FIIO K7, just a 4.4mm pentaconn balanced output for headphones, and single ended RCA output to amplifier
As an alternative:
SMSl D6 w/ Schiit Magni/Heretic combo - if you don't need balanced output to your headphones.

b7676

There are only low end 4493 and high end 4499 chip products since the fire. No 4497 midrange yet.
Topping it seems hasn't room to price AK into an e50, dx5, ex5 product anymore.

OP
M

museguy

There are only low end 4493 and high end 4499 chip products since the fire. No 4497 midrange yet.
Topping it seems hasn't room to price AK into an e50, dx5, ex5 product anymore.
Thank you, @b7676 !
If I was willing to pay more, are there any AKM4499 balanced headphone amps?

OP
M

museguy

FIIO K7, just a 4.4mm pentaconn balanced output for headphones, and single ended RCA output to amplifier
As an alternative:
SMSl D6 w/ Schiit Magni/Heretic combo - if you don't need balanced output to your headphones.
Thank you @DTTOM37
I was not aware that the FIIO K7 was balanced. Thank you for the recommendation!

Also I was not aware that the SMSI D6 is balanced, another good suggestion!

OP
M

museguy

Possible choices;
  1. FIIO K7 Balanced headphone amp / dac, dual AK4493SEQ and dual THX AAA 788+ amps, 4.4mm pentaconn balanced headphone output ($199)
  2. SMSI D6 balanced DAC AK4493 chip ($169) + balanced headphone amp ?

DTTOM37

Possible choices;
  1. FIIO K7 Balanced headphone amp / dac, dual AK4493SEQ and dual THX AAA 788+ amps, 4.4mm pentaconn balanced headphone output ($199)
  2. SMSI D6 balanced DAC AK4493 chip ($169) + balanced headphone amp ?
I have noticed that balanced output for headphones is a recent trend, however, as much as I understood, it is not about pushing SQ to another level - but about higher powered output, selling substitute aftermarket cables and pushing additional technology (TRRRS - 4.4mm pushed by Sony - not sure if that's only a rumour ?) and therefore creating demand. With your headphones a single ended HPA output does fine, and I have used both, the K7 and the Schiit Heretic with the D6, both already have no problem to drive your HD650 to earbleeding volumes.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Worry not about the DAC chip used but how it is implemented (ie what comes out of the headphone jack ). And as others have said, only worry about balanced connection of the single ended output on the device isnt capable of delivering the voltage you need.

Look at the dac/amps from Topping/ SMSL reviewed on this site - the DX3 pro + and EX/ DX 5 will drive most headphones cleanly and capably. What headphones do you/ will you have?

Top Bottom