• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

120 hz hum-- not from my audio gear but from my house-- what to do about it?

Last night I went out into the garage to put something in my car and I could hear a mysterious humming in the room. I thought no way, I never should have read that thread on ASR about the (imaginary?) hum. After some investigating I discovered that the pressure regulator diaphragm at my natural gas meter was vibrating at 110 cycles per second and transmitting the humming sound through the pipes into the house. A little more natural gas flow through the pipes would probably raise the hum to 120 hz. It's just one isolated incident but is something for other people to think about.
Screenshot_20240317_191301_Spectroid.jpg

JohnnyAudio

Almost 20 years ago, my bachelor work in electrical engineering was about electromagnetic fields and waves and the ICNIRP definitions and limits. As a music producer I always respected my body's sensory feedback and I also have huge respect for mother nature. One of the most impressive things on university I learned, was, when the professor lecturing the MAxwell equations, the theoretical foundations of electrical engineering, always humbly said - despite their amazing fruits in working products, like radio or mobile comm - "according to the current theory".
The humbleness, not to claim to know everything, despite working products proving the equations correct, unlike sadly all stupid social "sciences" do, but to view the current level of scientific knowledge only as a small part of a probably much, much bigger reality, totally resonated with me.

When I had researched the ICNIRP levels before, I hadn't been able to find hard evidence based foundations of the radiation levels (i.e. SAR). Studies that potentially showed cancer in mice, or changes in behavioral patterns, were rejected and ridiculed - I was outraged about that and asked my professor about it, and he was surprised, too. Had absolutely no clue.
(btw later I noticed a similar lack of knowledge, when a professor, who was lecturing ecological heating technologies and a strong believer in CO2-caused climate warming, knew nothing about the H2O radiation gap and the logarithmic absorption behavior of CO2. But he almost got mad, only because I asked him about the diagrams I showed him.

Most people do believe, that academia was neutral and science based. Maybe that was decades ago, I do not know. I experienced first hand even on my purely technical university, that was not the case. And intolerance, ignorance and arrogance had infested even the mathematics based engineering faculties back then already.

Long story short:
If you know, that already 20 years ago, when electromagnetic waves were much longer (and therefore much larger than the size of body dimensions or even cells of living beings), the ICNIRP rules of limiting exposure to EM radiation, were just random numbers, and if you only look at the reduction in wavelenght that happened in the last 20 years (and continues to be done without any studies of side effects), then you must be really ignorant, not to be open minded about possible negative consequences, if the regulatory bodies and the scientific community all over the world show no longer any interest in potential harm from new technology.

I personally also noticed in the last summer a very low hum.
I switched off the circuits but it was there.
I went outside and it vanished. I went into a corner outside the house and it became stronger - sounded much like a low frequency resonance.
I had no clue that this even was a topic and noticed it only afterwards, because I searched for a potential reason of what I was hearing.

Now what has changed in the last years?
4G, now 5G wavelengths everywhere.
Mass installation of heat pumps (known to create infrasonic sound).
Concentrations of huge windmills (known to create infrasonic sound).

And all that is done without any objective long term studies on human wellbeing, perception, fauna and flora!
We really are acting like apes in front of red nuclear buttons, while we ridicule every warning voice, that it may be warranted to study long term effects first.

I have no clue, what the source of this phenomenon is, but among several other signs, I see it as a warning to the species - just like the body also warns us with all kinds of gentle symptoms, before we become really ill.
IMO if we as species do not stop being that ignorant and arrogant, and continue to act, as if we would know everything, then the result of not acting sane will be, that the laws of the eternal will correct this incredible stupidity and ignorance...
Interesting... as I am bathing in 5 G radiation (getting more crap to us faster) I'm reading a book on the topic of EMF effects... " The Invisible Rainbow"

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting... as I am bathing in 5 G radiation (getting more crap to us faster) I'm reading a book on the topic of EMF effects... " The Invisible Rainbow"
This is a well crafted book based on very outdated information. It is popular science at best and pseudoscience more likely. This fairly sympathetic review also both praises and questions the book for its assumptions that probably render it not particularly valuable in its lack of rigour.
This thread is getting awfully close to tinfoil hat territory people.

egellings

Major Contributor
We are regularly bathed in non-ionizing cosmic radiation, but are still alive. The Sun even provides warmth. How caring.
Earth's atmosphere is what's caring. The uncaring sun's radiation, unfiltered by the atmosphere, would end all land life on earth. Don't know about life deep in the oceans.

Top Bottom