Search results

1. o2so

Purchase advice after Genelec 8341

Decisions decisions! I have sold my Gennies 8341 and Arendal sub to free up some cash. I am looking to replace them with something cheaper, but as good as possible. I am thinking either: - Genelecs 8340 (price is $5,000 AU) - Genelecs 8040 with a sub (around $5,000 AU) - Kef Ls50 wireless II...
  2. o2so

REW instructions to test subwoofer compression on burst tones

Hello, could anyone kindly point me to some laymen-level instructions to use REW to check if my subwoofer is compressing burst tones at my typical listening volume? I do not mean long-term (swipe-like) compression, I already know it compresses a fair bit in the long term test. But will it...
  3. o2so

Small Room Treatment

Hello, I am hoping that those of you with knowledge of room treatment could spare some advice. I am setting up a system in the room shown in the diagrams below. ROOM The room is not large being 470cm L x 340cm W x 330cm H. It has a brick wall on the left, front, and back, and a plaster wall on...
  4. o2so

Are XLR cables with wall plugs ok for active speakers?

Hi all, I am going to have to move my music source across the room and the XLR cables to my active speakers will have to go through a doorway, which is not possible. So I am planning to run the cables underfloor and place XLR plugs in the wall at each end. Is this (i.e. two XLR connectors along...
  5. o2so

REW not separating L and R

Hi There, I am hoping someone can help me with REW. It seems to have stopped being able to measure left and right channel independently. When I ask it to play the sweep to the right channel only, it plays it to both channels. I checked the system downstream and it is properly playing in stereo...
  6. o2so

Dynaudio Focus 60xd vs Genelc 8351b

Hello. This is a request of purchase advice. I currently own a pair of Dynaudio Focus 60 XD, and I am quite happy with these , especially for the impressive bass and the dynamics. Before these I had a system with ls50 meta and two subs, which was also very nice but I could not get the subs to...
  7. o2so

Sound power vs frequency response

Hi there, can any kind soul please explain to me in laymen's terms the physical difference between sound power and frequency response of a speaker? What does it mean when two different speakers have the same frequency response but different power at a given frequency, for example in the lower...
  8. o2so

Fixing asymmetric room with absorption panels?

In my night time configuration, which is just how the room looks like normally, the system and listening position are shifted to the left of the room. I thought I'd try and partially fix the asymmetry with two large panels. Just testing it out now. The subjective impression is that panels take...
  9. o2so

How important is good speaker design if you have Digital Room Correction

I could not quite encapsulate the topic I wanted to discuss here in the title, because it is a bit more complex than that. ASR provides incredibly helpful information on - among other things - speaker performance. One of the key elements considered to determine such performance is Frequency...
  10. o2so

Revel f228be Vs Magico A1 Vs Q Acoustics Concept 500

This may be the dumbest question I have ever asked but need some last minute feedback for important speaker purchase happening tomorrow. What would you go for, in a room that is 5x3.7x3.5m? Same price for Revels and Magico, but 40% less for Q Acoustics. In all cases I can use a good sub...
  11. o2so

Room size for Revel 228be

I have been offered an incredible deal on a pair of Revel 228be. However my room is about 5L * 3.3W * 3.3H m. I listen at a distance of about 2.5m from the speakers I use digital EQ so could control the bass modes easily. I currently run bookshelves (Ls50 Meta) crossed over at 70 Hz to two Svs...
  12. o2so

Is distortion in electronics meaningful ?

Quick question. I do not understand why we fuss so much about distortion in a DAC which might be at -100db rather than -130db when the best speakers that have been tested here have second harmonic distortion at around -70db. How does it work, do they sum up? Or because the speakers has...
  13. o2so

Revel M106 vs M126Be: worth the upgrade?

Hello I own the Revel M106 and am considering a move to the M126Be. However the price difference is substantial and I am concerned it would bring only minor improvements. I was wondering if anyone who tried both models could share their thoughts Thanks in advance
  14. o2so

Do tubes make sense in a phono preamp?

Hello, I bumped into this comment allegedly from David Shaw, from Icon Audio, regarding their PS1 Signature Phono preamp (tube based). I wanted maximum musical detail, but without emphasizing the imperfections through wear, clicks scratches etc. So I could listen through the vinyl medium, not...
  15. o2so

Balanced vs unbalanced head amp out: power vs distortion

Hi there, With my Mrspeakers AEON, which are quite hard to drive, I find that my headphone amp (A&K SR15) struggles a bit at high volume (140 out of 150) and the sound becomes distorted. This is using its unbalanced output, which has a 2Vrms declared output ( no load). The amp has also a...
Top Bottom