• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced vs unbalanced head amp out: power vs distortion

o2so

Forum Donor
Hi there,

With my Mrspeakers AEON, which are quite hard to drive, I find that my headphone amp (A&K SR15) struggles a bit at high volume (140 out of 150) and the sound becomes distorted. This is using its unbalanced output, which has a 2Vrms declared output ( no load). The amp has also a balanced output, which has a nominal power of 4Vrms, but I don't have a balanced cable to test it.

My question is: if I get a balanced cable, will I be able to play at equally loud but without distortion?

Thanks in advance

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the SR15. The balanced output on this (any I believe any other balanced capable amp) will be louder for any point on the volume "dial" on the balanced plug than the SE.

Doesnt mean those 'phones wont distort at that same volume level out of the balanced output but you'll only be at (lets say) 120 on the "dial" .

(but I hope it won't distort)

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
I have the SR15. The balanced output on this (any I believe any other balanced capable amp) will be louder for any point on the volume "dial" on the balanced plug than the SE.

Doesnt mean those 'phones wont distort at that same volume level out of the balanced output but you'll only be at (lets say) 120 on the "dial" .

(but I hope it won't distort)
Thanks. The phones don't distort when used at higher volume with a different amp, so I think the culprit is the SR15. I'll get a cheap balanced cable and see how I go.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The AKs all have weak headphone amps. They don't have much current output.
Using balanced out solves voltage swing issue but not current output issue. So you will not get less distortion using balanced out.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Indeed the problem is the unusually low impedance (13 Ohm). The amp section is 'current clipped' and not 'voltage clipped' so balanced won't help here.
You need to get an external amplifier that can drive low impedance headphones.

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
Indeed the problem is the unusually low impedance (13 Ohm). The amp section is 'current clipped' and not 'voltage clipped' so balanced won't help here.
You need to get an external amplifier that can drive low impedance headphones.

Damn. The whole point of buying the A&K was to streamline my on the go rig. I have a Topping NX4 which works great with the AEON, but it requires to be connected via cable to my phone so not really portable.

Anyone aware of an all in one, portable DAP which could drive the AEON?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Damn. The whole point of buying the A&K was to streamline my on the go rig. I have a Topping NX4 which works great with the AEON, but it requires to be connected via cable to my phone so not really portable.

Anyone aware of an all in one, portable DAP which could drive the AEON?
Budget?
First ones coming into mind is Colorful U6 and U8. As well as Ibasso DX220. For cheaper and simpler user interface, you can try xduoo X3ii(i have measured one pretty good with a bit excessive noise but cheap and pretty good with load), and xduoo X20.
Other options, Shanling M3s and M5s are good options too regarding performance only (I have not tried the UI).
The recommendation is based on measurements with load. Most are found on https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/. As well as some other sources.

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
I returned the SR15 and tested ALL the Astell and Kern players in the store, including the Kann Cube. None of them could drive the AEON at medium-high levels without noticeable distortion. They are clearly all seriously current limited.

@JohnYang1997 , thanks for pointing me to those online measurements, which confirm the lack of sufficient current in all A&K models.

Of the models you recommended, the store does not have any, so I cannot out my credit towards any of them.

Any thoughts about FIIO players? The X5 iiii a d the x7 seem to measure pretty well..

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I returned the SR15 and tested ALL the Astell and Kern players in the store, including the Kann Cube. None of them could drive the AEON at medium-high levels without noticeable distortion. They are clearly all seriously current limited.

@JohnYang1997 , thanks for pointing me to those online measurements, which confirm the lack of sufficient current in all A&K models.

Of the models you recommended, the store does not have any, so I cannot out my credit towards any of them.

Any thoughts about FIIO players? The X5 iiii a d the x7 seem to measure pretty well..
Fiios don't seem to have very good current output capabilities. Iirc a couple of models aren't too bad. Remember to look at the 16ohm line. Most fiios have pretty decent dac but not good amp.

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
Fiios don't seem to have very good current output capabilities. Iirc a couple of models aren't too bad. Remember to look at the 16ohm line. Most fiios have pretty decent dac but not good amp.
The Fiio X5 mkiii has 163mA in 15.8ohm, same as the Ibasso DX200. Is that not enough? The A&K Kann in comparison has 80 mA.

What figure should I use as threshold?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The Fiio X5 mkiii has 163mA in 15.8ohm, same as the Ibasso DX200. Is that not enough? The A&K Kann in comparison has 80 mA.

What figure should I use as threshold?
Then I think it should be good enough.

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
Purchased Fiio X5 mkiii at very discounted price as it is now a couple of years old model.
The amplifier drives my MrSpeakers perfectly, significantly better than all Astell & Kern models I tested, including the Kann Cube.

Top Bottom