• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room size for Revel 228be

o2so

Forum Donor
I have been offered an incredible deal on a pair of Revel 228be. However my room is about 5L * 3.3W * 3.3H m. I listen at a distance of about 2.5m from the speakers
I use digital EQ so could control the bass modes easily.

I currently run bookshelves (Ls50 Meta) crossed over at 70 Hz to two Svs subs. All done with minidsp so integration is relatively seamless.
My question is:
- what advantages, if any, would the big revels offer over my current system, considering the room size?

Last edited:
OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
2.5 meter would be too close. You will hear the tweeter way above your ear level. You could get used to it but still, something to note.
Just realised the deal is actually on a pair of f228be! Sorry. Would these work better?

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
They should as they are shorter.
OK, that's good.
In terms of the advantages of a pair of 228be vs standmounters+subs, are there any and are these significant, in your opinion?

Last edited:

vavan

I have f208s in 5×5×2.7 at ~2.5m from mlp and do not find their tweeters are way above my ears, maybe just a little bit

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would think you would be able to rein in the bass esp with the miniDSP. I would not think the tweeter height will be a major issue. Interesting to see if these speaker really make a difference over the LS50 metas+SVS subs. I'm considering an upgrade to my OG LS50s+single SVS 2000 and one of the options I'm considering is the Fe226be. My room is small like yours, so I will be very interested to learn your thoughts on the pros and cons of a Revel vs LS50 setup in a small room.

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
I have f208s in 5×5×2.7 at ~2.5m from mlp and do not find their tweeters are way above my ears, maybe just a little bit
how do you find the bass response? Did you happen to measure it? How about imaging, subjectively?

vavan

vavan

How about imaging
Best I ever had in my room (after heco victa prime 702, heco aurora 1000 and polk lsim 705) with very asymmetric setup

Last edited:

vavan

Are you going to use any dsp and/or room correction software?

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
Are you going to use any dsp and/or room correction software?
yep, MInidsp SHD and Dirac live. I am currently using this set up to cross over two LS50 meta to two SVS subs and it is quite seamless. It makes me wonder what the advantages of replacing the speakers and subs with two big floorstanders would be

vavan

I'm also using dirac and I believe it would help if 228s would produce too much bass and excite modes in your room

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
I'm also using dirac and I believe it would help if 228s would produce too much bass and excite modes in your room
Yes it would, I agree. Just trying to gauge if the expense would be worth it

vavan

I really hope it would

Astroboydivx

yep, MInidsp SHD and Dirac live. I am currently using this set up to cross over two LS50 meta to two SVS subs and it is quite seamless. It makes me wonder what the advantages of replacing the speakers and subs with two big floorstanders would be

Is this just for music or TV/Home Theatre? The Minidsp SHD doesn't have HDMI ports so keen to know how you would perform HDMI switching.

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
I am not overly keen on fancy audio with movies, but my TV has a toslink out which does just fine. It would be for music mainly. I can also get a decent deal on a pair of Magico A1, which I would then run with a sub. I will make a decision soon but any advice is welcome

Top Bottom