• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel f228be Vs Magico A1 Vs Q Acoustics Concept 500

o2so

Forum Donor
This may be the dumbest question I have ever asked but need some last minute feedback for important speaker purchase happening tomorrow.

What would you go for, in a room that is 5x3.7x3.5m?

Same price for Revels and Magico, but 40% less for Q Acoustics.

In all cases I can use a good sub integrated with minidsp shd.

Can't decide. Hit me.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is this last minute? Why on Earth is it "happening tomorrow" when you can't even decide which of three very different speakers you prefer?

A speaker purchase, particularly one approaching $10k should never be an emergency. Listen for yourself, preferably with in home trials and decide what you like best. BTW, if you're thinking about dropping that kind of money, you should be also looking at D& D 8Cs, GGNTKT M1s, Genelec 8351s, and Kef Reference 1s as well.

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
Why is this last minute? Why on Earth is it "happening tomorrow" when you can't even decide which of three very different speakers you prefer?

A speaker purchase, particularly one approaching $10k should never be an emergency. Listen for yourself, preferably with in home trials and decide what you like best. BTW, if you're thinking about dropping that kind of money, you should be also looking at D& D 8Cs, GGNTKT M1s, Genelec 8351s, and Kef Reference 1s as well.
I have a special offer on the Revels and Q Acoustics which expires before Christmas

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should choose according to your application and be cool about special prices. If they had to lower the price it was to expensive to begin with.
Sadly there is a bit of price fixing in high end audio (which really is illegal but not enforced) so it's tempting when an actual deal appears :)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They're all good speakers as far as I can tell from published measurements. If I couldn't listen to them first, I would go for the F228 because (a) it's the biggest and (b) its performance is well-documented.

Having said that, the F208 and F228 appear to be essentially the same speaker, with differences between them so subtle as to be almost negligible. So I would consider F208 over F228 unless the price you're being offered on F228 brings it down to the same price as the F208.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I vote for the revels due to their science based approach , in that group the magico seem to expensive for such a small speaker the revels are a true three ways with a wave guide they have a technical edge , you seems to get most bang for the buck here . and a tailored acoustical dispersion and most driver area (not only for spl but for low distorsion ) ?

That said i have not heard any of these , nor can one these days as dealers are far between and don't have everything , so you just cant round up the usual suspects and then have a shoot out that's a bit of problem .

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
They're all good speakers as far as I can tell from published measurements. If I couldn't listen to them first, I would go for the F228 because (a) it's the biggest and (b) its performance is well-documented.

Having said that, the F208 and F228 appear to be essentially the same speaker, with differences between them so subtle as to be almost negligible. So I would consider F208 over F228 unless the price you're being offered on F228 brings it down to the same price as the F208.
Why is big = good in a smallish room?

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
I vote for the revels due to their science based approach , in that group the magico seem to expensive for such a small speaker the revels are a true three ways with a wave guide they have a technical edge , you seems to get most bang for the buck here . and a tailored acoustical dispersion and most driver area (not only for spl but for low distorsion ) ?

That said i have not heard any of these , nor can one these days as dealers are far between and don't have everything , so you just cant round up the usual suspects and then have a shoot out that's a bit of problem .
I agree. On the other hand:
- I listen in two different positions in that room which require moving one of the speakers by about 2m. Doable with the revels, more doable with the Magicos
- aesthetically, the revels would overpower the room.
- the revels would have their tweeter a little high for a listening distance of 2.7m.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes the revels design is a bit 1990 they look like supermarket speakers :) . Smaller revels the F206 or F226 ?

Yes acoustic in small rooms practically demands DRC/DSP especially with speakers with a bit of low end extension.

If your in for standmounts and the room is "small" whatever that is, I sit at 2,4 meter bit my room is almost 6 meter at one length with a lot of openings to other rooms and i don't think a stand mouthed speaker would fill the room . I have floorstanding speakers and they dominate the decor that's true.

There is no Magic even the speaker has that name a small two way can simply not be worth almost 10k$ you will always find better performance elsewhere or if you want a small two way good performance is certainly aviable for less much less ? a KEF R3 a Revel bookshelf ?
Just seems that the Magico seem to represent especially bad value ?

I myself are curios about GGNTK M1 or M2 or the F208 or F206

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor

Now this is a beginner question. Do speakers that measure essentially the same, also sound the same? Are speaker measurements as comprehensive as components measurements? At Revel, they say the Be series sound much better than the performa 3. But they pretty much measure the same.

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
Yes the revels design is a bit 1990 they look like supermarket speakers :) . Smaller revels the F206 or F226 ?

Yes acoustic in small rooms practically demands DRC/DSP especially with speakers with a bit of low end extension.

If your in for standmounts and the room is "small" whatever that is, I sit at 2,4 meter bit my room is almost 6 meter at one length with a lot of openings to other rooms and i don't think a stand mouthed speaker would fill the room . I have floorstanding speakers and they dominate the decor that's true.

There is no Magic even the speaker has that name a small two way can simply not be worth almost 10k$ you will always find better performance elsewhere or if you want a small two way good performance is certainly aviable for less much less ? a KEF R3 a Revel bookshelf ?
Just seems that the Magico seem to represent especially bad value ?

I myself are curios about GGNTK M1 or M2 or the F208 or F206
Thought about smaller revels but the offer only applies to the 228.
Also thought about the R3s, but it may be a bad investment given KEF will upgrade them to Meta arguably soon.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now this is a beginner question. Do speakers that measure essentially the same, also sound the same? Are speaker measurements as comprehensive as components measurements? At Revel, they say the Be series sound much better than the performa 3. But they pretty much measure the same.

Essentially yes, although you need a lot of measurements to characterise a speaker.

In this case, though, we do have a lot of measurements, and we can fill in most of the remaining blanks because we know the speakers' cabinets are also essentially the same. The only area where we I'd say we can't comfortably infer that the F228Be doesn't outperform the F208 is in bass distortion (the F208 is lower-distortion in the mids and treble, but we don't know about the bass).

Anyway, the speakers probably don't sound exactly the same, because they don't measure exactly the same, either. But the non-Be Performa series seems to me one of the biggest bargains in the passive loudspeaker market atm.

OP
o2so

o2so

Forum Donor
Essentially yes, although you need a lot of measurements to characterise a speaker.

In this case, though, we do have a lot of measurements, and we can fill in most of the remaining blanks because we know the speakers' cabinets are also essentially the same. The only area where we I'd say we can't comfortably infer that the F228Be doesn't outperform the F208 is in bass distortion (the F208 is lower-distortion in the mids and treble, but we don't know about the bass).

Anyway, the speakers probably don't sound exactly the same, because they don't measure exactly the same, either. But the non-Be Performa series seems to me one of the biggest bargains in the passive loudspeaker market atm.

Thank you. It would be interesting to confirm this with some subjective impressions. @amirm is definitely the best person I can think of to comment on this. Hopefully he will find the time to contribute.

Top Bottom