Search results

1. H

Any point of external DAC+AMP with new MacBook Pros?

I have a M1 MacBook Pro 16 with these new updated headphone outs. I use a Khadas Tone Board + JDS Atom Amp 1 with a Sennheiser HD650. I can push volumes to uncomfortable levels using the built-in 3.5mm port on my MacBook, even when using DSP + -4 dB ReplayGain + headphone EQ. My question is...
  2. H

20 meter between PC <> DAC

Hi, how would you recommend connecting a PC with a DAC which is 20 meters away? AFAIK, I have two options: - active USB 2.0 cables - Toslink cables With both solutions I'm worried about if there is degradation in jitter and also bit-loss. Also, for the Toslink cable, I'd need to basically buy...
  3. H

USB-C cables: active / passive / E-Mark chips effect on audio quality?

I have a Macbook Pro M1 and I'd like to connect my USB-C desktop DAC to it. My question is that there are a zillion types of USB-C cables and I'm totally confused about them. Basically, all I'd need is a very simple USB 2.0 data cable with Type-C plugs on both ends. What I can see in the shops...
  4. H

Acoustic music energy distribution

I'd be interested, that for acoustic music or human voice (that is non-electronic music), how is the energy distribution over frequencies. I'm asking this because I'd like to know if a Topping PA5 or a Hypex NC122MP would be objectively better for acoustic music. Basically, here is a mix of the...
  5. H

Harbeth M30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Monitor 30.2

Harbeth Monitor 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition. These speakers are in mint condition: 100% technically and 99% optically perfect. There is a very small scratch on the bottom where the speaker touches the stand otherwise everything is perfect. With the special, limited WBT connectors! Kept in a...
  6. H

Are amplifier clicks and pops damaging speakers?

I have an ICEPower 125ASX2 based poweramp, which when I turn it on makes a very slight pop noise. It really is not loud, much more quiet compared to how I'd listen to music even at night. My question is that do I need to worry about this damaging my speaker, if I turn the amplifier on/off once...
  7. H

Basic question about connecting mains (IcePower DIY build)

I have a VocoPro Feather Amp FA-500 board, which I bought for its 100% genuine IcePower 125ASX2 board + case + connectors, and because it's been on a good sale at $100 (+ shipping + import duty ended up $175). The official IcePower board itself would be 200+ GBP in Europe. Out of the box, it...
  8. H

AB testing tool for macOS

Hi, For the HD Audio Challange II (which I absolutely recommend to everyone in the forum interested in our hearing), I'm looking for a macOS based software which allows me to do this. It needs to be bit-perfect and support 24/96 audio playback. I've tried the "Lacinato" tool, but it makes a...
  9. H

iPhone + USB DACs any good? Bit-perfect? HD?

Hi, Is there anyone who did any test on the bit-perfectness of an iPhone when used with USB DACs? I was thinking about making a Raspberry Pi streamer, but I was thinking that if I can use my iPhone that'd be much better. Not one more computer with an operating system, which needs to be updated...
  10. H

Measuring line levels using a multimeter

Hi, I have a very super basic question. Is it possible to measure line level using a multimeter in AC Voltage settings? I have a cheap but recommended "Excel DT9205A" multimeter, like this: https://www.petervis.com/meters/Excel_DT9205A/Excel_DT9205A.html I've set it to AC Voltage mode and...
  11. H

Recommended internal cables for amplifier kits

I'm trying to build / mod some Class D kits (ICEPower, Tripath modules). So about internal cabling, what are exactly the recommended cables for power, signal and speakers? I have some questions. - power: I don't understand why is it better twisted than straight. In the walls, in the power...
Top Bottom