Search results

1. NTK

Visualizing How Different Loudspeaker LF Directivity Patterns Couple to Room Modes

This opening post is to demonstrate how different loudspeaker low frequency directvity patterns couple to our room modes. If you are unfamiliar with what room modes are, please refer to @DonH56's excellent thread for an in-depth introduction...
  2. NTK

Digital Audio Demystified

[Note] I don't have the privilege to start a thread in the Audio Reference Library. If our moderators or @amirm think these posts are of sufficient value, please move this thread to the Audio Reference Library section. Thanks! This thread is my attempt to demystify digital audio (or the basic...
  3. NTK

A Little Demo of the Franssen Effect (Precedence Effect)

The Franssen effect is an illusion due to the "law of the first wavefront" (aka precedence effect). When both of our ears receive coherent sounds, we lock on to its first few milliseconds (the first wavefront) to determine its direction, and our brains "fix" the sound to this direction. Our...
  4. NTK

Debunking the Myth that a Lighter Diaphragm Enables a "Faster" Speaker Driver

"A faster driver needs a light cone. Or does it?" is the title of a blog post on the Purifi web site. It is not a very long post, but if you are really busy, here is a TL;DR summary: Displacement in speaker diaphragm does not generate the pressure wave in air that is the sound we hear...
  5. NTK

In-Room Speaker Frequency Response Simulation (Low Frequency)

[Edit] Member edechamps has pointed out my method of modeling wall absorption was incorrect and he is right. I have replaced the attached ZIP archive with update the Mathematica and Jupyter notebooks. With the old method, the wall absorption was much higher than they should be, and the updated...
  6. NTK

Arbitrary Shape Room Mode Simulator

This opening post is to show how to simulate room modes using Mathematica. The other room mode calculators I could find on the web can only handle rectangular box shaped rooms. Mathematica can solve for arbitrarily shaped room. I only attempted 2D, but theoretically Mathematica should be able to...
  7. NTK

Understanding How the Klippel NFS Works

Questions regarding how the Klippel NFS works are raised in many of Amir's speaker reviews. Thomas has suggested starting a thread on this topics and here I am. I am starting this thread with a brief description of the basic principles behind the NFS. You can find much further details on the...
  8. NTK

DIY 3D Speaker Scanner - the Mathematics and Everything Else

Let me get this out of the way first. Yes, my goal is to figure out how to build a 3D speaker scanner similar to Klippel's. Of course the first step is to figure out the theories. In my post back in August, I wrote that I knew next to nothing about the mathematics of acoustics. I also wrote...
  9. NTK

The Technology Behind Samsung's Soundbars

COMSOL made this promotional video to showcase their acoustics simulation and analysis capabilities. (COMSOL sells finite element analysis software for general purpose scientific and engineering analyses.) The video is from their blog post on the R&D activities at the Samsung Audio Lab in...
Top Bottom