Search results

1. B

Mixed Semiconductor Output Stage

Like it says on the tin. Been looking at all kinds of transistors from bog standard BJT to RF HEMT. From my understanding, configurations like darlington, sziklai (can never remember the spelling of that), and composit amplifiers allow you to mix and match properties of different semiconductors...
  2. B

Speakers: Technology Vs Implementation

There are lots of different types of speakers. Some tout the technology is simply better, others say they implement it the best. A lot of people say companies like RAAL, Bliesma, Purifi, etc. are the best, but I've also seen a lot out there that can give them a run for their money. What's the...
  3. B

ADC Based Feedback

I was reading something @Curvature sent me yesterday (very good read thanks again) and came across something I don't quite get. In a presentation by Bruno Putzeys, it depicts what I was told was always a bad idea: using an ADC as feedback. Wouldn't there be a lot of group/phase delay on the line...
  4. B

Best Starting Point

When designing a class D amplifier, is it better to use a PWM modulator, or the DSD/PDM signal straight from the modulator? Or does it really depend on the design?
  5. B

Field trip!

Was out and about today and found a neat audio store. Had some cool stuff too. But two things really stuck out... was so cool I got a chance to hear them.
  6. B

Daily Double!

(I hope you Jeopardy! fans out there were amused) 1) When calculating for volume, is that including or excluding the insulating material? 2) In terms of a passive radiator, would it change any of the parameters it needs to function? (volume, displacement, etc.)
  7. B

DSP Info

For those of you just joining us: this thread is for covering some info about DSP. Pertaining to me: I have been working on making a set of bookshelf for a little bit now. One thing I've been waffling back and forth on is whether to go DSP or full analog. One thing I've ran into a lot is the...
  8. B

Resources.

I just learned what spinorama is. I really wish I knew about this thing a while ago lol It got me thinking though... what are some other resources that can help when selecting things like speakers, parts etc? So far I've mostly just been using parts distributors like Digikey, Mouser...
  9. B

How to...

Hey @amirm ! I recently came across your video on how to read the measurements you post. Will you be doing any more like that? Would really like to see one on speaker construction. I've definitely gotten side tracked a lot because I missed one thing or another while trying to design one. One...
  10. B

Enclosure Design

Like it says on the tin. Any recommended reading/youtubing on speaker enclosure design? I'm assuming it's a little more complex than just making a box :p
  11. B

Good Idea, Bad Idea?

For a speaker enclosure I'm working on, the main driver's min requirement by the manufacturer is 50W. I had planned for 20. Because of speaker sensitivity, if I wanted to make it 40 (being closer to recommended) I would probably need to add another woofer. Then... well my brain did its brain...
  12. B

Crystal Filters

Have been looking around the web at odd filter designs and these showed up (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_filter). They seem to be used in rf filters a bit. What's the efficacy of them for audio? Can they be used in something like an ordinary analog filter?
  13. B

AK4191

For starters, yes I know there have been a lot of discussions, even on ASR, but I still don't think I totally get it. So why does this chip need the AK4499EXEQ to modulate it? Is there anything else that can modulate it? Why does this chip have one set of noise figures, but it's modulator has a...
  14. B

ASR Dark Mode

Like the title says. Pretty please?
  15. B

MFB Isobaric

To make a very long story short, I am making a DIY active 3 way speaker. The goal was to have something somewhat efficient, compact, and high fidelity. The speaker I chose for the low end was a dayton E150HE-44 subwoofer. What occured to me while designing this thing is I'm going to be putting a...
  16. B

Can't Decide!!!

I'm designing the power amp section of a project I'm working on. I've seen a lot cool designs for discrete, but I've also seen some cool chip amps (looking at you TPA3255). I'm only going about 50 watts or so, so nothing dramatic. I was also thinking about taking a hybrid approach using...
  17. B

Tough Issue

I want to make a filter that can get rid of crossover distortion. My idea is to use an all-pass filter that is triggered by a precision zero cross detector. Is this feasible in the analog domain or am I kidding myself?
  18. B

DSP shenanigans

I'm working on a set of active speakers and I think DSP is the way to go. As far as i can tell, it means less components overall. I was looking into one of the products that can use sigma studio like the Sharc processors. Would one of those DSPs be good for a DIY project, or should I look into...
  19. B

Transformers In Passive Filters

So in a prior post (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/lattice-phase-equalizer.47694/) I wanted to use a lattice phase equalizer on every filter stage. I realize now that is dumb because of how many attenuator networks I would have to make. So I went back to the drawing...
  20. B

Lattice Phase Equalizer

Before I get into the weeds of it, I would just like to say that this place is much more invested in the scientific aspect of audio as opposed to the "flavor" of it so thank you for existing because all of these DIY audio forums are deteriorating what little sanity I have left by giving too many...
Top Bottom