Search results

1. Jim Creek

My Bad Luck With Phono Preamps

My Schiit Mani 2 phono preamp developed a problem after 1.5 years, still under warranty. The left channel became dominant while the right channel became very weak. Of course this shifted the soundstage way to the left. I tried numerous configurations with cables, cartridges headphones, etc. I...
  2. Jim Creek

I Just Got Banned From SuperBestAudioFriends

We were having a discussion on the serviceability of Class D amps vs Class A/B. I pointed out that Class D is modular. The modules are readily available from Hypex etc. OTOH if a transistor blows on a Marantz it may be more difficult getting an exact OEM replacement. BOOM…..I was banned. The...
  3. Jim Creek

I Weep Because I Have No More Worlds To Conquer

I upgraded my amp to a Purifi Eigentakt, my Preamp to a Topping Pre90, my DAC to an SMSL DO100, my headphone amp to a Schiit Modi Heretic. I love my 4 year old Silver 100 speakers too much to part with them. The upgraded electronics has made those speakers too good. All my old electronics were...
  4. Jim Creek

Headphones & IEMs And Hearing Loss?

Question #1: Are IEMs or Headphones detrimental to our hearing, even if used at moderate levels? Question #2: Which device, IEMs or Headphones, are more dangerous to our hearing?
  5. Jim Creek

Amazon Deal On AKG Pro Audio Podcaster Kit (Includes K371)

I found this great deal on Amazon. It’s an AKG Podcaster Kit which includes a microphone, software and…an AKG K371 headphone for $135. Not bad…huh? It’s funny, if you search for the K371 on Amazon, you will find that headphone sells for $180. But you can buy the whole podcaster kit which...
  6. Jim Creek

Recommend 3 Open Back Headphones To Audition

I’ve got $300 to spend on a new headphone, open back. I currently use ATH M50X that are 8-10 years old. I replaced the ear pads and a zip-on cover for the headband. I decided I want to try something new, an open back headphone. I want a low impedance headphone that can be used with my Macbook...
  7. Jim Creek

Pioneer PL41

Here’s a picture of a 50 year old turntable, a half a century old. I restored this Pioneer PL41. It looks and sounds great and built like a tank with real walnut plywood.
  8. Jim Creek

Replacing The Manufacture’s Jumper Bar

I’m not bi-amping my speakers. One of my audiophile and wine sipping buddies tells me I should replace the jumper bar from the back of my MA Silver 100 speakers. He said to use 14 ga copper speaker wire instead. His reasoning is that the metal jumper bar is not pure copper but brass which does...
  9. Jim Creek

A Good DIY Practice

Always wear pants when soldering!o_O
  10. Jim Creek

A SINAD of 80 or SINAD of 100 Can You Really Tell The Difference?

For a while now I’ve had the urge to ‘upgrade’ my old Emotiva BasX A300 amp with a SOTA Class D. After reading many discussions here, I’m questioning if I’ll actually hear any difference. Can anyone with excellent hearing distinguish the difference between SINAD 80 and SINAD 100? I don’t want...
  11. Jim Creek

Deciding Between NCX500, Purifi Eigentakt and Nilai

I’m getting ready to replace my 7 year old Emotiva BasX A300 amp. I’ve narrowed it down to three choices, NCX500, Purifi Egentakt or Nilai. After researching this forum it seems that all 3 choices will sound the same. So I’ve concluded the NCX500 would be the most cost effective. The Purifi...
  12. Jim Creek

Do Buffers Matter?

Are the factory default buffers with Purifi Eigentakt or Hypex Ncx500 a safe bet? Is it worth while to pay for upgraded buffers?
  13. Jim Creek

I’ve Got The EIGENTAKT Bug But….

My current amp is an Emotiva BasX A300 (150W @ 8ohms, Class A/B). It’s seven years old and sounds great. My other components are an Topping Pre90 preamp and an SMSL DO100 DAC. When I put my ear on the tweeter screen of my Silver 100 I hear dead silence, even with the Pre90 volume turned all the...
Top Bottom