Search results

1. Ilkless

Your latest cool purchase

Just put in an order for a handstitched leather satchel by a French craftsman I've been admiring for some time, and realised there wasn't a catch-all thread for cool purchases. It will be in thick vegetable-tanned hazelnut-coloured leather from a small French tannery, with fasteners made in...
  2. Ilkless

Recommendations for Ho Chi Minh City

We'll be in Ho Chi Minh City for 4 days in November. We don't intend to travel far out of the city, so the Cu Chi Tunnels are out. Are there any restaurants/cafes/shops/museums/attractions/bars ASRers who have travelled there, or better still, live/work there that they'd recommend? Cheers.
  3. Ilkless

Impact of Audeze 2021 pad revision

Audezes are wonderful headphones especially if the weight is bearable. There was a pad revision in late 2020/early 2021 that was said to increase upper mid response anecdotally, but there was little talk about exactly how much the increase was, and the frequency range, which would potentially...
  4. Ilkless

CanJam Singapore 2023 (25-26 March)

https://canjamglobal.com/shows/singapore2023/ Anyone going? Might pop by, have sold my LCD-2C, and definitely looking into a side/minor upgrade. Maybe snag a show demo deal. Audeze after EQ are impeccable but the neck strain is immense...
  5. Ilkless

Offer to fund driver purchase for FAST design with ASR rigor

Those who follow my posts would know I think there's some untapped potential for a speaker with woofer-assisted wideband driver (a.k.a FAST) as a design format. That's not helped by the rampant voodoo in the space. That's a shame as I think there's a niche for a well-engineered design with...
  6. Ilkless

Rosson RAD-0 and ZMF Auteur Classic impressions vs Audeze LCD-3

I have been looking for a sidegrade/small upgrade to my EQ'd Audeze LCD-3s + Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin in the 1k-2.5k range (would get headphones in the top end used). This is a tall order because I've been very lucky to work out an excellent EQ through a mixture of listening, what I kinda...
  7. Ilkless

Headphones with low sensitivity to seal

I'm looking for headphones that exhibit minimal rolloff with an imperfect seal, extended low distortion bass, low placement variation and a lack of any high-Q peaks or cancellations. In terms of FR I find myself liking flat or very slight shelved up bass (rising slightly lower in frequency than...
  8. Ilkless

Topping EX5 quieter after EQ mishap

I was tinkering with my parametric EQ on my Audeze LCD-2C when a slip of my fingers meant a 5dB boost became a 50dB boost at 1150Hz (Peace GUI maxed it out at +30dB, but still massively loud). The Audezes seem to have held up fine thankfully. But it appears something is wrong with the EX5, which...
  9. Ilkless

WTB: Genelec 8050/KH310A (Asia)

If you are a dealer or reseller that can cut a good ex-demo/B-stock/consignment deal for either speaker and has decent shipping fees to Asia, please drop me a PM too Long shot - but thought I'd post it here. Prices for Genelec and Neumann are extortionate locally and when they appear on resale...
  10. Ilkless

WTB: Matrix Mini-i 3/Magnius + Modius/Topping E50 + L50 (Asia)

Hi all, Looking for any of the above. Alternatively, anything you have that has: - RCA line in - XLR pre out - USB DAC - Bluetooth - volume control (preferably digital) - proven engineering/measurements (SINAD above 100dB is fine, not too fussy) - under $500 and preferably under $350 - no need...
  11. Ilkless

RCA input, Bluetooth, USB DAC, XLR out with volume control?

The S/O is getting into audio of late, particularly vinyl. She fell in love with a pair of Focal Shape 40s. Not my personal choice but she really likes the amount of treble, wide dispersion and classy veneer over monochrome Genelec/Neumann/Kali. No amount of me pontificating about directivity...
  12. Ilkless

Tidal Desktop exclusive mode - is it me?

Sounds like there's some compression going on, I'm using it on HiFi using the desktop app. FR also sounds wonky, a bit more V-shaped. And it is louder, but there's still a sense of compression (in the dynamics sense) even as I turn the volume down. This is on Windows. Is this a documented issue...
  13. Ilkless

Ether CX vs Aeon Flow 2?

Was offered a swap between Aeon Flow 2s with Ether CXs (non Flow). Just wondering, anyone know how do non-Flow Ether drivers compare to the latest Flow drivers? I have seen measurements but never of the two from the same source. Thanks!
  14. Ilkless

Overhauling the setup

I am in a position to overhaul my setup this year. Looking for some opinions. I don't think I'll be in a position for much room treatment, if any. Owing to apartment living in Asia, I don't miss <35Hz, and my listening peaks are roughly 83dB at a listening position of ~2m away for a stereo pair...
  15. Ilkless

DCA Aeon 2 tuning pads

Does anyone have measurements showing the effect of the 3 tuning pads DCA supplies with the Aeon 2? Particularly with the Aeon 2 Open. I hear a bit of the 6k spike that has been measured - not objectionable, but just a bit of a sheen that overlays on brass, violin and electric guitar...
  16. Ilkless

Gradient releases new Revolution R-5A flagship

Looks like they quietly released the new Revolution. Totally different shape from the previous generatio, more like the 1.4, and only outboard active with nCore amps now, no more passive. Very excited to see how it measures and sounds considering an earlier iteration from 1997 is still state...
  17. Ilkless

Reflecting on Audiophilia - some personal stories

Last year I was invited to write an article series on Harman curves for a headphone website. It became a comprehensive 3-part series that contextualised the curve's development amidst other efforts to standardise/improve headphone playback. It got a much better reception than I ever dared hope...
  18. Ilkless

Misco releases 2 new 6.5" XBL^2 woofers

https://audioxpress.com/news/bold-north-audio-releases-two-high-excursion-6-5-woofers-employing-xbl2-technology Misco has been on my radar since the late Jeff Bagby used a midwoofer by them in the sealed Docero. They finally seem to be targeting the DIY end-user with their Bold North Audio...
  19. Ilkless

New 15" Scanspeak Ellipticor

https://audioxpress.com/news/scan-speak-announces-new-large-size-ellipticor-woofer-38we-8582t00 Took me by surprise. Scanspeak just used their flagship tech on a large-format woofer. The motor design looks funky, as does the frame and fancy elliptical voice coil and former, but in a post-Purifi...
  20. Ilkless

Evidence-based Custom IEMs?

I know quite a few speaker brands with either third-party or own measurements, as well as a demonstrated grasp of the science. Same for headphones and IEMs to a lesser extent. I'm looking for CIEMs for the isolation and relatively consistent fit. I know that data is limited by differences in...
Top Bottom