• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Evidence-based Custom IEMs?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know quite a few speaker brands with either third-party or own measurements, as well as a demonstrated grasp of the science. Same for headphones and IEMs to a lesser extent. I'm looking for CIEMs for the isolation and relatively consistent fit. I know that data is limited by differences in insertion depth and geometry of the IEM for each ear, but there seems to be a near-total absence of data or indeed, any indication of engineering beyond intuition and fluffy subjective impressions for CIEM brands. Several of them even peddle cable voodoo. The only one I know of that seems quite objective is UE. Are there any others I should look at?

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What? There is no one here? Bump it up a bit so people can see it.

By custom IEM do you mean a regular mass produced IEM with custom tip? How does custom tip compare to off the shelf tip if same seal and same insertion depth?

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What? There is no one here? Bump it up a bit so people can see it.

By custom IEM do you mean a regular mass produced IEM with custom tip? How does custom tip compare to off the shelf tip if same seal and same insertion depth?

No I mean IEMs with custom-molded shells like JH Audio

Durnik

I'm very happy with NCM Bella (they have a very nice cheaper model too, which I owned before the Bella, and sent for upgrade to de latter, paying only for that upgrade).
The manufacturer is based in Vietnam and has certain deserved reputation there. They are very responsive too if you have any doubts.
The sound is on the balanced side, I like them a lot when listening to jazz and classic, but in fact both models are very versatile and when I'm not at home (at home I listen more to my Focal Clear MG), I use the Bella to listen to prog. rock and metal too.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know quite a few speaker brands with either third-party or own measurements, as well as a demonstrated grasp of the science. Same for headphones and IEMs to a lesser extent. I'm looking for CIEMs for the isolation and relatively consistent fit. I know that data is limited by differences in insertion depth and geometry of the IEM for each ear, but there seems to be a near-total absence of data or indeed, any indication of engineering beyond intuition and fluffy subjective impressions for CIEM brands. Several of them even peddle cable voodoo. The only one I know of that seems quite objective is UE. Are there any others I should look at?
Did you ever have any luck? I'm in the market myself. I prefer off-the-shelf because it's always only a matter of time before something better comes along, but curious if custom is demonstrably superior to the extent the cost is justified.

Habbe

I think ACS is pretty serious.

I have the ACS Evolve, three-way. I always thought they were lacking bass and treble, until I realized they were really designed quite flat, and that will sound like lacking bass and treble because music is mixed using non-flat response (people here at ASR know the ear pinna and canal effects very well in the form of Harman targets)

Top Bottom