Search results

1. B

how to ship Mcintosh tube pre-amp, amplifier and clearaudio turntable?

I just inherited a Mcintosh tube pre-amp and tube amp from the early-mid 70s, as well as a Clearaudio Emotion SE turntable. The t/t is in original box but the amp/pre-amp are not in boxes. They need to get from Omaha, NE to Boston, MA in the US. Does anyone have suggestions about how to...
  2. B

Favorite IEMs? Can they compete with HD800?

Was just wondering if there are any convertees to IEMs after coming from the world of over-ears, like HD800. Does anybody have any favorites they can recommend that might compare with high-end over-ears? Or is the technology just not there yet? Or is it impossible without the larger...
  3. B

small form-factor combination DAC AMP for bedside use with HD800s

I am looking for a small form-factor combination DAC AMP for bedside use with HD800s, and Hifiman Edition X. Having trouble knowing which units will drive these headphones well, but assuming that all DAC functionality will be audibly transparent. Can anyone recommend any models I might...
  4. B

High-quality wireless in-ears? Noise cancelling a plus!

Not sure if this exact question has been covered, but I am looking for a genuinely hi-fi pair of wireless earbuds. Do they exist? Do any of the also offer noise-cancellation? Thanks so much!
  5. B

Closed-back headphone recommendation

I have a student who just had a heart attack and is looking for a good pair of closed-back headphones for listening during his convalescence. He's coming from the Bose world. Can anyone recommend a $2-400 pair? Thanks!
  6. B

Amazon Music Hi-Def vs FLAC?

Happy Holidays to everyone! Just listened to Dark Side Of The Moon on Amazon Music and then FLAC and found the FLAC to be noticeably better-sounding. Definition on spoken word parts much clearer, better instrument separation, kick drum sounded tighter, etc. That put me back to listening...
  7. B

when i pause amazon music, sound won't come back on

just a quick question: when i listen to amazon music on pc the sound cuts out when i pause or rewind; meters still moving but have to restart to get sound to come out again. looking online the explanation seems to be "amazon music's app sucks" and the solution is "use spotify". anyone...
  8. B

How many pairs of headphones do you need to cover all situations?

Like many of you, I have ended up with several pairs of headphones. Just wondering what phones you use for different genres/situations? I have a pair of HD800, Hifiman X Edition for planars, AKG K702, Sony WH-1000XM4 for wireless/NC, Sennheiser Momentum earbuds and Etymotic ER3SE earbuds. Are...
  9. B

Neutral over-ear active noise canceling headphones for autistic person?

I have a friend who has recently been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and I am trying to recommend a pair of noise canceling over-ear wireless phones. Looking for a good balance of neutral sound, comfort and quality of noise-canceling algorithm. Person is really bothered by ambient...
  10. B

Any interest in starting a "record listening club"?

I have a friend who belongs to a group that is similar to a book group in that they listen to one important or exceptional album per month and then discuss. In their case, the discussions are via email. Not clear what form this would take, but it sounds like a fun way to engage with everything...
  11. B

Neutral closed-backs with good detail, imaging and sound stage?

Looking for a good pair of closed-backs so I can see what that world is all about. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I might check out? Looking at beyerdynamic dt770 pro 250 ohm, but don't know what kind of compromises might be involved here. My limited experience with closed-backs...
  12. B

WTB: Combination desktop DAC and Head-Amp (JDS Element or similar)

Looking for a combo DAC/headamp to use with Amazon Music on Android, Windows and Ios and HD800/Hifiman X-Series. If anyone has something lying around, feel free to get in touch. Thanks!
  13. B

WTB: cheap solid android phone for music player

Looking for a solid android phone to use as a music player for external DAC with expandable storage for playing FLACs. If anyone has an old phone lying around, feel free to get in touch. Thanks!
  14. B

New Aurender Flow DAC from DROP?

Anybody have any experience with with this? Would it work well with HD800 and Hifiman Edition X? May be idiosyncratic, but I am interested in the 1 TB of music storage, as well. At $500, is it worth a look? Are there other solutions...
  15. B

Help with (hopefully) simple bedside DAC question

I am constitutionally incapable of understanding which specs are relevant for choosing a DAC/Amp that will be sure to do justice to my headphones. They are: HD800 600 ohm DT880 Hifiman Edition X I listen mostly to Amazon Music via Android in the evenings-- will JDS Labs Element II DAC/Amp or...
  16. B

Cheap but reliable device for storing and streaming music through JDS Element II or similar?

I imagine this has been covered, but am not having any luck searching! Looking for a way to stream amazon music and store/play FLACS as a portable alternative for using my phone. Any suggestions? Would a Kindle Fire HD 10 work? Thanks!
  17. B

Good desktop amp/dac/with phono stage for Harbeth P3ESR?

Just got a pair of P3ESR monitors that I want to use for listening and for reference vs. my Genelecs when mixing. I am looking for a small desktop amp with phono stage and DAC, and some way to switch between both speakers. Does something like this exist, or will I have to build a stack of...
  18. B

Cool gadgets with lights, meters, etc for recording studio?

I am looking for cool vintage, or vintage-looking audio gadgets for the vibe in a recording studio-- I remember seeing years ago these 70s light show boxes that would react to the frequency response of the tune you were playing and flash in colors. trying to imagine what else might be out...
  19. B

Cheapest way to get a PC with i7 and 64 GB of RAM?

I am trying to put together a system for audio recording and mixing, as well as streaming audio and need 64 GB of RAM-- thought I would ask here in case anyone has any suggestions about the cheapest way to tackle the problem. Off-the-shelf machines with that much RAM are very expensive and...
  20. B

More DAC mumbo-jumbo?

I recently met with a high-end stereo store rep in NYC and he was trying to sell me on a DAC that he said "produced a more accurate depiction of the physical space the song was recorded in" than many others, and that the quality of the jacks, switches, etc., makes a huge difference in the sound...
Top Bottom