Search results

1. RandomEar

3Blue1Brown video on Transformer Neural Networks (like ChatGPT)

Youtube creator 3Blue1Brown published an interesting and well crafted video on the inner workings of transformer NNs like ChatGPT: It's more of a high level overview without diving into the deeper math and focuses on understanding the logic behind the main elements of "AIs" like ChatGPT. For...
  2. RandomEar

The moving microphone method (MMM) for Dummies using REW

After getting a couple of weird results on my first MMM measurements, I went searching around the forums & YouTube for what went wrong. To save others from gathering various bits and pieces of info from a dozen sources, I decided to publish this quick write-up here. You can use it as a rough...
  3. RandomEar

The only USB A (male) to USB C (female) adapter that actually works

Over the past years, I've seen countless USB A to C adapters and tested some of them. All of them are "dumb" to some degree: Either the USB C only works correctly in one orientation (AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!), or they're "High-Speed" (480 MBit/s) only or they don't fast charge or whatever. In my...
  4. RandomEar

Solution to getting rid of pop-sounds when audio is being played in Windows after being idle for some time

Disclaimer There's various sources of pop-sounds in audio devices and the Windows audio stack. The following solution only applies to one specific case, which might also be related to the audio output and the DAC you use. Please keep that in mind when looking for a solution for your "pop-lem"...
  5. RandomEar

Modifying an SMSL IR remote to reduce directivity and improve reliability

I have three SMSL devices in a near field setup, which is just out of range of my arms. The remotes sit beside me, but are at an odd angle relative to the DAC/amp/HP amp (40 cm below and to the left) and inputs have a tendency to not be recognized, unless I pick the remotes up and point upwards...
  6. RandomEar

Help with odd problem: SMSL AO200 emits hissing sound only when connected to a tweeter

OK, so this is an odd problem: I've recently bought an SMSL AO200 as a stop-gap solution, until I find a Hypex or Purify implementation I like. Now, I've had two units of the AO200 already and both exhibit a peculiar behaviour: When the amp is connected to at least one speaker and is not muted...
  7. RandomEar

SMSL AO200 THD+N compared to other "lower power" class D amplifiers

I just happended to stumble upon THD+N data @ 4 Ω for the AO200, published by Aoshida. SMSL isn't even displaying this data themselves on their AO200 page. They only show results for 8 Ω. Obviously, I can't check whether the data is correct and actually belongs to the AO200. But I thought I'd...
  8. RandomEar

The future of consumer DACs - What would YOU like to see the most?

In recent review threads, I've got the impression that the latest offerings in the DAC & DAC + HP amp category have gotten a bit boring in the technical sense: Most measure exceptionally well, with very few or minor flaws - apart from the occasional trainwreck, which we shall disregard for the...
  9. RandomEar

New setup, mono sub & potenatial crosstalk

I'm currently planning to upgrade my 2.1 setup. I've done some research and am pretty sure what to get, but I could use some input on how to connect the sub. It has a line level mono input. Current setup: Rotel RA-12 (fed via S/PDIF from PC) ELAC BS 243 bookshelves ELAC SUB 2040 ESP (fed from...
Top Bottom