• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The future of consumer DACs - What would YOU like to see the most?

Which feature or improvement would you like to see in future consumer DACs?

• Better technical performance (SINAD, dynamic range, ...)

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • More inputs (AES/EBU, I²S, analog line in, phono in, ...)

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • More outputs (subwoofer out, passthrough digital ports, ...)

Votes: 67 45.0%
  • Multichannel outputs & software support (4.0, 5.1, ...)

Votes: 39 26.2%
  • Higher build quality (case, connectors, display, remote...)

Votes: 21 14.1%
  • Better industrial design (hardware & software)

Votes: 21 14.1%
  • Better user interface (for the device, the USB driver or the remote)

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • Integrated EQ or DSP (including crossover or DIRAC)

Votes: 119 79.9%
  • Other software features (DPLL setting, auto input selection, ...)

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Better quality control and/or support (firmware updates, local service centers, ...)

Votes: 38 25.5%

• Total voters

RandomEar

In recent review threads, I've got the impression that the latest offerings in the DAC & DAC + HP amp category have gotten a bit boring in the technical sense: Most measure exceptionally well, with very few or minor flaws - apart from the occasional trainwreck, which we shall disregard for the purposes of this poll. My impression is that especially chinese manufacturers like Topping, SMSL or Gustard seem to focus mostly on pushing measured performance closer and closer to the boundaries of available analyzers, while increasing prices to go with it. However, improvements seem to have gotten so small, that audible differences are questionable.

From an economic point of view, I understand their strategy: It has worked well for them in recent years and as long as people pay a big premium for +1 dB in SINAD, there's little incentive to change it. However, from the consumer point of view, other aspects may become more important if most available devices are "good enough" in terms of measured specs and have no audible flaws anymore. I know a couple of things I'd like to see instead of a higher THD+N or dynamic range and I'd like to know your opinion on this topic!

Similar thread (but specific to Topping and without a poll):

tuga

Major Contributor
I would like the ethernet card to become a standard input on desktop DACs, maybe an interpolation-filter bypass mode as well, for those of us who use external up-sampling/-conversion.

MCH

Major Contributor
Good initiative. I bet you can get as many different answers as users are here.

My suggestion would be as simple as a regular usb/spdif in dac with 4 channels output.

Dsp and all that on a computer or a pi

Make a pro version if you want with 8 channels or volume control and call it a day!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
My AVR does everything I want and it decodes all of the standard DVD & Blu-Ray formats and the built-in DAC is multi-channel (5.1).

I've never owned a stand-alone DAC and the only time I've had a "complaint" was with some noisy soundcards.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would like to see larger cases that don't get pulled off of a shelf after hooking up a few interconnects.
Would you consider an audiophile brick to solve this problem? ;-)
vpibrick.jpg

Last edited:

bkdc

Forum Donor
Quality control and intuitive interface for me. Multichannel and DSP falls into the category of a AV processor. The level of complexity has gone up. A lot.

MCH

Major Contributor
Quality control and intuitive interface for me. Multichannel and DSP falls into the category of a AV processor. The level of complexity has gone up. A lot.

You need at least 3 channel to integrate a simple sub. I see most folks here doing x-overs and room correction for stereo systems. I don't think that is only av territory at all.

Zim

Forum Donor
EQ and DSP please. Severely lacking options and multiple price points.

iamsms

DSP (controllable from PC or phone), Bluetooth, multiple usb inputs (pc and phones), multiple duplicate outputs maybe for trying out different amps, a waveform display of sort, built in power supply.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Multichannel Streaming DACs with multichannel outs. Improved streaming service engagement and seamless integration across platforms.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I want my DAC to be DAC only with an stupid interface like I2S, toslink, ADAT... and its balanced mono output shuld be Galvanic isolated form its digital input.
And i want a separate "DSP" box with display that can control lots of DACs to build an multi channel/way system.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's a damn crime most dacs dont come with at least one configurable EQ on their outputs.

OP
RandomEar

RandomEar

Interesting that multichannel support is third place right now. Did not expect that. I have to agree that this would essentially make it an AVR - but I don't think it's an invalid request. My assumption would be that the members who voted for it would like to get an AVR with "flawless" DAC performance (+ DSP & DIRAC, I suppose). Like an Okto DAC8 PRO, but actually in stock ;) Not an unreasonable request, I'd say.

My preferences would be (in the order of importance)
  • Subwoofer out + capable DSP crossover
  • Better quality control & (local) support
  • Integrated EQ
  • A bit more love for the UI and the overall industrial design

I hope @DonR is right and "the great SINAD wars" are over. I would prefer more of the above mentioned features going forward, without skyrocketing prices.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
None of the above.

I'd quite like it if they had a reasonable sized, clear, white on back display would could be controlled by the attached USB device. Either via html or a bitmap, such that I could send album/track/volume/bitrate/etc as I see fit for a consistent display regardless of whether I'm driving it by a Pi (most of the time), PC etc. I can use EQ on the source device, and there's nowhere else in the chain (amp, nas, headphones etc) which can drive a display or is located somewhere I can see it.

Top Bottom