• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL AO200 THD+N compared to other "lower power" class D amplifiers

RandomEar

I just happended to stumble upon THD+N data @ 4 Ω for the AO200, published by Aoshida. SMSL isn't even displaying this data themselves on their AO200 page. They only show results for 8 Ω. Obviously, I can't check whether the data is correct and actually belongs to the AO200. But I thought I'd put together a quick graph, comparing the performance to other amps of somewhat similar power. The results look plausible to me.

DISCLAIMER: The data shown below is shamelessly stolen from different sources (including ASR reviews, if available) using Web Plot Digitizer. As the measurements were performed by different operators sometimes also using different or unknown analyzers, they may not be 100% comparable. All data shown is for the worst channel of a stereo setup, in case both were given in the source.

THD+N Comparison.png

From the graphs, it looks like SMSL managed to push the noise down by one order of magnitude on the AO200 when compared to the DA-9. Power is very similar on these two amps. The Topping PA5 and Hypex NC122MP-based amps perform better concerning THD+N and power - at slightly higher price points. Some AO200 THD+N numbers (for 1 kHz, 4 Ω):
  • Min(THD+N) = 0.0026% @ 47.3 W
    (This is the global minimum and also the point, where distortion takes over. From my understanding, this is what @amirm would quote as power.)
  • 63.9 W @ THD+N = 0.1%
  • 75.4 W @ THD+N = 1%
  • 98.4 W @ THD+N = 10%
    (I guess this is what SMSL refers to when advertising the amp as "90 W". Let's call it "creative marketing".)

OP
RandomEar

RandomEar

I just got reminded of the Topping MX5, which uses the same Infineon MA12070 chip as the AO200 and should perform similar. After grabbing the data, this is how it compares:
THD+N Comparison_MX5.png

And indeed, it is pretty close in performance. Lower distortion and slightly lower noise floor than the AO200, but also less power (about 41 W at the bend, 53 W @ 0.1% THD+N and 61 W @ 1% THD+N).

OP
RandomEar

RandomEar

Intitially forgot to add the sources. Here they are:

I also just received a unit of the AO200 and sadly, it seems to be defective :( There's a high-pitched sizzling/crackling noise coming from the amp itself, when not muted. And it generates a similar sound from the speakers. Too bad - already the second SMSL product I received that has issues right out of the box.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Thank you for posting these charts - I have the AO200 and am driving a pair of Whafedale Lintons (90 dB) with it (also use a separate subwoofer via sub out) and it performs remarkably well. It fills a medium sized room to uncomfortable levels at about 12 o’clock on my preamp.

The current Topping LA90 review and thread makes me wonder how the AO200 compares - slightly worse SINAD, about the same power, but more features (Bluetooth, tone controls, sub out, USB in, display, in-built power supply) and the AO200 is much less expensive albeit chip amp versus AB. Too bad SMSL has not sent Amir one of these to test.

Top Bottom