Search results

1. drewdawg999

Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm - much better with Dekoni choice leather pads

The DT770s are the new object of my affection, and at quite the affordable price used. Scored them off reddit, 75 bucks shipped, 80 ohm version but stock cable replaced with coiley cable that's normally on the 250 ohm version. Immediately loved the bass, but I did find the treble a bit...
  2. drewdawg999

Mod House Argon mk3 in the house, after over 3 years of yearning and they're fantastic!

Oh woe was me, with my LCD-2 getting kind of stale, as was my OG HE-400. It's been like 8 years with my 2 planars. Sure I could EQ some bass boost, but still something was missing. Enter the Mod House Argon mk3, just what I needed with its party animal sound signature. Big booming impactful...
  3. drewdawg999

Who's Next remixed by Steven Wilson sounds really great!

Gave it a couple listens in 24-96, compared it to the SHM-SACD, and must say this thoroughly spanks the SACD. So dynamic, more clarity, more impactful bass. Cleaner, blacker background, more involving, a huge upgrade and this recording needed it. Great historic level rock and roll, now sounding...
  4. drewdawg999

Would a Darlington MP-7 be an upgrade over a MS Nova Phonomena?

Been mulling this one over, whether to change phono stages. I'm pretty happy with the Phonomena, that is after the addition of a SUT, the Phasemation T-300. Cartridge is a recently re-tipped old Koetsu Black, and prefer the SUT into MM, as I find that 60dB of gain is too noisy, too much hiss and...
  5. drewdawg999

Got Airborne Magna RIsers, speaker stands for my Magnepan MMGs, and am very happy with them!

It was a four month wait list but otherwise things went well. There are measurements for FR, with stock stands and Magna Risers on the similar LRS: (Taken from this review.) The stands have opened things up nicely. Big step up in clarity and detail, and better drive and definition in the...
  6. drewdawg999

Looking into a step up transformer for my Koetsu Black, trying to lower noise floor

I've never tried a step up transformer before, but I'm very curious and eager to try one. Reason being that my phono stage, a Musical Surroundings Phonomena, when configured for MC use at 60dB gain, is rather noisy. There's a hiss and a hum that raises the noise floor at idle to about 45dB. I...
  7. drewdawg999

Sent my Koetsu Black to VAS to be repaired. Chose it over a new cart or new DAC, and am confident in my choice.

VAS Inc. in NJ seems to do great work, and trustworthy to send my precious Koetsu Black for microsurgery. Much less waiting time than Soundsmith, and less red tape to cut through. Chose to do this over buying a new cart, budget wasn't too high so had my eye on an Audio Technica AT33PTG/2...
  8. drewdawg999

VTV Hypex NC252MP or VTV Purifi Eigentakt Eval-1? Which is a better fit for me?

Hi there, Merry Christmas! Came into some Christmas money so am about to pull the trigger on one of these amps, but need a little advice first. I know that if cost were no object, the Purifi Eigentakt is an easy decision, but I'd really be stretching the budget to do so. Would I really be...
Top Bottom