Search results

1. Rantenti

How much bass do I lose for DAC into low input impedance preamp?

Hello, I've read that one would lose bass if the input impedance of a preamp is less than 10 times the output impedamce of the DAC. Why is the general recommendation ten times? Is there a calculator or chart I can use to understand the actual loss of different frequencies in various output to...
  2. Rantenti

Gain Settings of Amplifier (Purifi) with preamp

Hello dear ASR friends, I have a Holo Audio Serene Preamp and an Audiophonics HPA-S400et Amp on order for their excellent measurements and versatility. I have only used integrated amps before so I have no experience with amp- preamp matching. I have read that for the Purifi module in the amp...
  3. Rantenti

Is the Keces S300 power amp a good match with Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers?

Hello, I have a Keces S300 amp as well as an old pair of Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers. The amp specs seem quite powerful, I don't know if their specs pair up OK. I don't want to damage my speakers. Here are their specs: Keces S300: 225 watts x2 @ 4 ohm continuous output power / Maximum output...
  4. Rantenti

conversion between crosstalk and separation

Hello! Hope you are all having a good day. I was looking at the specs of various headphone amps. Some specified crosstalk in -dB (eg. Topping A90) and some specified separation in % (eg Burson). If crosstalk affects the separation and thus the soundstage, is there a formula or chart which I...
  5. Rantenti

Only "half of the machine" used when using single-ended on a fully balanced DAC?

I have a Gustard X26 Pro DAC feeding a Topping A90. Both are said to be fully balanced from input to output. I am using XLR connection currently, but I need to lend the XLR cables to another system for a while, and I'm now using RCA cables between the DAC and Preamp. 1. For such fully balanced...
  6. Rantenti

Does the shield of a 3-conductor cable work when made into a figure-of-8 cable?

I am using a Gotham 85025 cable (3 x 2.5mm²) for my active speakers which takes a figure-of-8 connector, i.e the ground wire is not connected. At the mains plug side, the ground wire and the shield are both connected the ground as usual. I wonder if the shield still works in shielding EMI...
  7. Rantenti

Suggestions on room treatment

Hello all, I have been using the Neumann KH-80s in this room (floor plan attached) for a while. The speakers sound good using DSP, and I do not have noise problems. However, I am hoping to treat the room to bring improvements to two problems: 1. The bass coming from the speakers is right...
  8. Rantenti

The extent of benefit when USB to DAC power output is cut?

Hello all, My DAC does not require USB power or handshake, and I can block the power either by blocking the power pin on the USB cable, or by toggling the USB power output to "off" on my PCIe USB card. Theoretically speaking, are both methods limited only to removing power-signal...
  9. Rantenti

Recommended cleaner for corrosion stains on electrical contacts

Hello all, I had wrapped up the ends of some of my unused cables in cling wrap and thought they would be better protected like this. Sadly, the supposedly gold-plated contacts showed corrosion stains more quickly than ever. I guess the culprit is the condensation within the cling wrap. Here's a...
  10. Rantenti

Quad microphone cables DIY into USB cables?

Hello all, There are people making USB cables for DAC from popular quad microphone cables. They are not expensive. I was wondering, since USB cables are supposed to conform to 90 ohm standard (eg. ifi micro iDSD cannot be recognized by the computer if the USB cable does not follow USB 2.0...
  11. Rantenti

4-pin XLR or 4.4mm for headphone cables?

Hello all, I'm buying a balanced cable for my Hifiman Ananda headphones to use on the Topping A90. Nothing fancy or expensive. Is the XLR (Neutrik) a better choice for durability / better contact than the 4.4mm at the same price? Some advised 4.4mm for more flexible use (eg with DAPs), but I...
  12. Rantenti

Do I need fuses in my cables or power strip?

Hello all, I am feeding my audio equipment (desktop computer, Gustard x26 pro DAC, Topping A90 amp, Neumann active speakers) with a power strip which has a 10A fuse and claimed surge protection from a home electronics shop, which is plugged into a wall socket which has a 13A fuse. I wonder if...
  13. Rantenti

figure of 8 power cord and phase problems

Hello all, My active speakers uses figure of eight power input. I am unable to differentiate which hole of the power cord is live and which is neutral. Will it cause phase problems or any problems if I plug the cord the "wrong" way on one or both of my speakers? Thanks!
  14. Rantenti

Warming up a class A DAC?

Hello all, There are people who strongly claim that class A equipment improves their sound after warming up. Some recommends 20 minutes while some recommend like 24-hour warm up time, which is impossible for me because of potential fire hazard while I am out of doors. I have bought a Gustard...
  15. Rantenti

Weird distortion in headphones when speakers are off

Hi all, I have an ifi iDSD Signature connected to Neuman KH80 active speakers via RCA-XLR cables. There is a weird phenomenon where, when the speakers are OFF, and I plug in my headphones (any headphones), I would hear severe clipping distortion (not ground loop hum noise) when playing loud...
Top Bottom