Search results

1. N

Time aligning subwoofer after applying FIR to mains?

I'm just trying this out for fun to see if I like the results. I have a multichannel audio interface that is connected to a DAW (Ableton Live). For the channels outputting to my main L/R channels, I'm applying a FIR filter (that I manually generated using REW and rePhase) with LAConvolver...
  2. N

Apple Music PEQ/REQ

For those of you planning to switch to Apple Music, how will you apply PEQ/REQ?
  3. N

Headphone Recommendations

I'm considering picking up an open ear pair (under $750) of headphones for late night listening. Currently own the following headphones and IEM: Sennheiser HD700 (EQ to Harman curve) Fiio FH7 (EQ to Harman curve but listenable without) I was thinking of getting 6xx but thought it might be a...
  4. N

Upper Bass Articulation in uber hi-end speakers

A few years ago, I went to listen to some TAD speakers - (ME-1, CE-1, and Evolution 1). These speakers are all endgame-worth and range from about $15k per pair MSRP to $30k per pair MSRP. We played the same tracks over all three speaker (the latter two in the same room). What was most...
  5. N

Old Classe amp

I have an old Classe CA-200 (ca. late 1990’s) that was working perfectly until about a week ago. In the past week, there are distortions during certain passages of music that I’ve not heard before. In general, the noise floor seems higher but I haven’t verified. My speakers seem fine when using...
  6. N

Tweeters Ringing?

I recently noticed that my L and R loudspeakers will emit a high pitch ringing sound during certain passages of music. For now, I am only noticing during soprano solos. I see there is some talk of “soprano distortion” on the internet. Is this a known phenomena?
  7. N

Anti-ASR gear

Does anyone own gear that measures or probably measures horribly but enjoy it greatly? I have a tube preamp that adds some coloration but I absolutely love it.
  8. N

SPL for critical listening

Was curious what everyone considers to be the reference SPL ranges for critical listening (e.g., while conducting double blind tests).
  9. N

Speakers for Classic Music

I recently moved cross country into temporary small apartment (in Bay area) so I have minimal audio gear (most are in storage) with me at the moment. I’ll get proper floor standing speakers once I move into a house but in the meantime, I’ve been looking for bookshelf speakers to hold me...
  10. N

Gain Staging?

I have a preamp that has a maximum output of 5V RMS. Is there a rule of thumb for input sensitivity of the amplifier? Should I try to find amp that is close to 5V for best SNR and not worry about clipping and distortion? Since most hifi amplifiers have much lower input sensitivity, what...
  11. N

Which audio companies have solid engineering chops?

Obviously, every company will produce a dud here and there. Which companies consistently design and produce solidly engineered products?
  12. N

Realistic Sounding Speakers

I'm trying to find the best speakers for my budget (TBD). Everyone's definition of best is different but for me it would be the one sounding most real- as if the performer was in your living room - so that you're swimming in the sound. What are important things I need to look for in a speaker...
  13. N

What's causing static during Tidal playback?

Hi, New to the forum. I'm not an expert in audio science but I would love to learn. I have a question that may have a simple answer but it's hard to trust Google when it comes to audio science. I have Teac HA P90SD player (http://www.teac.com/product/ha-p90sd/) that allows me to connect to...
Top Bottom