• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time aligning subwoofer after applying FIR to mains?

noobie1

I'm just trying this out for fun to see if I like the results. I have a multichannel audio interface that is connected to a DAW (Ableton Live). For the channels outputting to my main L/R channels, I'm applying a FIR filter (that I manually generated using REW and rePhase) with LAConvolver. I'm also using a 3rd channel to send an unprocessed signal to my subwoofer. When I first tried this, the mains were delayed by quite a bit and I had to introduce delays to the L/R channels (~800 ms). I listened to a song that I knew well and played around with the time delay until it sounded right. It sounds surprisingly good but the OCD part of me wants to make sure the L/R and the subwoofer are perfectly time aligned. Does anyone know how I might be able to do this?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I'm just trying this out for fun to see if I like the results. I have a multichannel audio interface that is connected to a DAW (Ableton Live). For the channels outputting to my main L/R channels, I'm applying a FIR filter (that I manually generated using REW and rePhase) with LAConvolver. I'm also using a 3rd channel to send an unprocessed signal to my subwoofer. When I first tried this, the mains were delayed by quite a bit and I had to introduce delays to the L/R channels (~800 ms). I listened to a song that I knew well and played around with the time delay until it sounded right. It sounds surprisingly good but the OCD part of me wants to make sure the L/R and the subwoofer are perfectly time aligned. Does anyone know how I might be able to do this?

It may be necessary to use REW's alignment tool on individual channel measurements with a timing reference. Overlayed IR, step response, and phase graphs will also be very helpful in this endeavor. You can either individually apply FIRs to each section/channel prior alignment, or alternatively apply a "general" FIR filter to the summed response after alignment (post filter linearization). I prefer the former, but have also used the latter as well esp. when linearizing active studio speakers with built-in regular minimum phase crossovers.

Depending on what you're trying to do, the process can be relatively simple to complex (e.g. splitting/allocating the DSP work separately, multiple measurements/spatial averaging as opposed to a straightforward single-point method).

1665041345531.png

1665041358946.png

1665041374790.png

1665041378473.png

1665041383765.png

Attachments

• before EQ (zero EQ).zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • after EQ (base EQ only).zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:
OP
N

noobie1

@ernestcarl Thank you for the detailed response. Am I understanding the workflow correctly?

1) Take measurements for all 3 channels with a timing reference; L/R mains will have FIR filter active during the measurements while the subwoofer channel is unprocessed (i.e., no FIR).
2) Overlay the measurements and make sure the 3 channels are time aligned.
3) Create a new filter for the subwoofer channel which will introduce the appropriate time delay.

TIA

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
@ernestcarl Thank you for the detailed response. Am I understanding the workflow correctly?

1) Take measurements for all 3 channels with a timing reference; L/R mains will have FIR filter active during the measurements while the subwoofer channel is unprocessed (i.e., no FIR).
2) Overlay the measurements and make sure the 3 channels are time aligned.
3) Create a new filter for the subwoofer channel which will introduce the appropriate time delay.

TIA

Well, you can go about it that way, too. But verify afterwards.

*Oops! Turns out I mixed up the min phase filter selections I used in the rePhase image example for the subwoofer a little bit as I got confused with it and my filters for the dedicated LFE channel -- due also to JRiver's labeling where the "sub" is the LFE. My 7.1c desk setup is really a bit more complicated as I split the EQ between the convolver and JRiver wherein the sub bass managed channels (LPF BW 8) diverges from the dedicated LFE channel (LPF BW 4 and 200Hz APF is applied to the latter as well to maintain phase coherence when the separate signals are altogether electrically/digitally summed).

**convolving the SUB no EQ measurement with the rePhase filter in the attachment (AxB via trace arithmetic function) and applying a delay offset of ~1ms should essentially give out the same actual measured subwoofer equalized response example in my previous post.

Attachments

• 60ms_FIR_SUB_48k_test.zip
    124 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

dc655321

Major Contributor

Perhaps you already know this but, if your FIR filter is linear phase, the delay is trivially obtained without measurement.

Top Bottom