Search results

1. W

Easiest DIY way to get rid of voltage spike from appliances (hair dryer etc)?

So I swapped from a desktop to a laptop... and many other changes occurred, but the rest of the setup is basically the same - Same monitor, same speakers, I guess the monitor cable changed from DP to HDMI. The entire setup runs off a single wall plug and one power strip that is daisy chained to...
  2. W

Elac Debut or Polk Signature? and which size?

My local shop is having a sale with coupons so these are what's available I was considering Elac Debut until I saw Polk Signature series at similar price point. I think favorably of Debut but the Panther rating is only a *shrug*, while Polks get a good Panther rating. Which is really weird...
  3. W

Professionals (or "professionals") vs amateur with good tools, a good video for food for thought

Disclaimer: Guy who makes the tools is also the guy who sells them Internet commenters of "My skill is better than you" vs Workshops vs the video creator, who wins? Really got me thinking about technical discussions and how people talk and how we should actually be talking.
  4. W

Any software to compare two different videos from two different distributors?

Like one video came from the original country of production while the other came from the USA distribution Because I want to confirm if the USA distributor didn't ruin things like make the weirdest edits in the weirdest places and ruin the original work, because of wokeness and stuff.
  5. W

"Smart" normalization / compression plugin? Or what do broadcasters / streamers use?

One part of processing audio tracks for my own consumption is to reduce the number of cases where I get jumpscared because of a sudden loud increase in volume for some reason. Currently I select the offending duration and then manually de-amplify by an arbitrary gain. Example below: (Left is...
  6. W

Any "Amazon massive discount" IEM nowadays?

Like how Ultimate Ears and Klipsch flagship IEMs could be bought for $100 or sometimes even less. I need a replacement for my Klipsch X11 soon since this line of earphones got discontinued, I can't find any as comfortable and small and decent, I lost the original tips and the China tips don't...
  7. W

My AliExpress (or taobao?) earphone disintegrated

I lost my Klipsch X11 tip outside and ran out of replacements, then I remember this China brand earphones should fit since it is aesthetically a clone Still kept inside the original box: The black rubber part simply disintegrated by itself My >5 year old X11 used outside everyday still...
  8. W

Adorama - Jamo S 801 @ $89

https://www.adorama.com/ja1064329.html?sdtid=15685165&emailprice=t&sterm=3GpQLORYxxyITV8Qal2pJVYFUkGQ3cQEq3aO3Q0&utm_source=rflaid62905 Too bad I don't live in the US
  9. W

Preference rating: What score speaker do you use? What can you tolerate? Where do you start to deviate? Where can you hear until?

Referring to MZKM's database. I like the scatterplot: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRVN63daR6Ph8lxhCDUEHxWq_gwV0wEjL2Q1KRDA0J4i_eE1JS-JQYSZy7kCQZMKtRnjTOn578fYZPJ/pubhtml# I know that my own personal preference generally tracks the rating until around a score of 3 to 4...
  10. W

Sound card as oscilloscope, can be done, and easily too

I foresee two types of responses to this thread: "Yes we know that already", and "omg you must be mad". This thread is to tell the latter it can be done, as myself was apprehensive to actually doing it. I needed something to check whether my PSUs have gotten noisy or not. One task is to confirm...
  11. W

Is it easier to make a flat headphone or one that follows Harman target? If flat, can the industry do EQ electronically like with RIAA?

Perhaps we just need someone to push the industry in that direction? The industry has already adopted Harman target but that's being done acoustically, which may not be the best method. Maybe with active headphones / earphones being a thing nowadays it can sidestep this issue...
  12. W

Visit fccid.io for teardown of products with wireless capability

Essentially anything with wireless and was filed with the FCC (won't let me be) will be documented here. Even really obscure stuff. Like this for example. https://fccid.io/IBAMF8235/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-3611978 You want KEF? Here's LS50...
  13. W

When will we get active EQ for headphones?

We have speakers using DSP produce a flat response anechoically (or any response they like to compensate for room effects) We have room correction systems that produce a flat response in room When will we see the same for headphones? We just need the headphone manufacturers to acknowledge that...
  14. W

Should we be careful when measuring old speakers? A not-too-faulty (but still faulty) speaker measured

After learning passive speakers can spoil too, I measured my pair of Diamond 8.2 that have sat in the living room for years Close mic of tweeter. The bad speaker was measured twice (orange and brown below) Hoo boy. My concern is that if we didn't have a second unit to compare against, we...
  15. W

Can I go gated measurements or should I just give up

Thinking of using gated measurement for the treble Woofer close mic 50cm from front of speaker Looks pretty whack even below 5ms So I repeated the test with tweeter 10kHz to 20kHz close mic vs 50cm So it looks like my first reflections are at 1.5ms? Can I even do gated with these...
  16. W

Why do we need amplifier with second harmonic if the speaker already has lots of it?

So one daydreaming led to another: - Why isn't there servo feedback for main woofer / tweeter - We are essentially running speakers without negative feedback - Results in -40dB to -60dB distortion with a lot of second and third harmonic which seems to check out against electronics without...
Top Bottom